• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watches

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I think I have accidentally developed an obsession with the Seiko Spirit watch, and I don't even own a watch.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
C., Spirits are indeed 20mm at the lugs.

Regards,

- B

Nice.

I think that's set me over the edge. I just sold a watch and am subsequently left w/ a few 20mm NATOs. $20 worth of watch straps isn't enough to justify a new watch but the spirit does look nice.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
Probably too big for my wrist though.
frown.gif

T., do not write this off because of the case size. I have a small wrist...on my Cartier Tank Louis, for example, I order custom straps through Cartier (a correct Tank strap gets thicker at the lugs, so really should be sourced from Cartier or from a reliable custom maker) to get the buckle-strap balance to turn out correctly in terms of the buckle positioning.

The Spirit is designed for the Japanese market (as you know) and the standard strap fits my wrist perfectly. So, even the stock Spirit looks swell...although still substantial...on a small wrist.

It's WIS on a budget, and I recommend it highly.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I just sold a watch and am subsequently left w/ a few 20mm NATOs. $20 worth of watch straps isn't enough to justify a new watch but the spirit does look nice.

20mm NATOs are exactly the bands that I use, C. The funny thing is, I got the Spirit to get grosgrain bands back into my sartorial rotation, stemming from collegiate (early 80s in my case) nostalgia.

- B

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish that you could find a decent striped NATO in 20mm - I was very underwhelmed by Central Watch Band Stand ones and wound up returning the 5 I had ordered.

I have a couple solid colors and the speedbird which I like a lot.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I really wish that you could find a decent striped NATO in 20mm - I was very underwhelmed by Central Watch Band Stand ones and wound up returning the 5 I had ordered.

I have a couple solid colors and the speedbird which I like a lot.

Yes, I agree. Here is the Spirit on a striped NATO, along with my other daily wearers (i.e., watches that can get banged up and scratched)...I think the Spirit does just fine.

197056072-L.jpg

Rose 18K JLC from circa 1964 on Oxxford RTW:

132918342-L.jpg

A. Lange & Söhne on DeBoise bespoke:

132918344-L.jpg

Cartier on DeBoise bespoke:

132918351-L.jpg

Hamilton 14K from circa 1954 on Barbera/Attolini RTW:

132918353-L.jpg

A Roller on DeBoise bespoke:

132918350-L.jpg

Really, I think the Spirit has nothing to be ashamed of in this company.

- B

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Will you sell me the A. Lange, Vox?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Will you sell me the A. Lange, Vox?

Ha! That Saxonia is from the original run, with an utterly civilized case width...few produced, loved by few, austere and stern, and now replaced by the larger format contemporary new Saxonia which to me is a bit more, well, obvious, more mass taste.

That's my long-winded way of saying, "No."

A blast from the past: http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...horologium0032

- B

EDIT: I apologize to the OP for WISing this up...my main point is that for less than $300, one can get the Seiko Spirit, which is an honorable example of watchmaking tradition with values that are independent of, but also contribute to, style.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That's sad to hear...thank you for updating the recommendation.

- B

Yeah it's really too bad, I've heard nothing but good things from the people who have does business with him. I just saw that the other day, so I have no idea how long they have been down. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered one from here.

If people are interested, I'll report back w/ how it goes but I don't anticipate a problem.

Vox, great collection. If that beautiful Lange is one of the "daily wearers (i.e., watches that can get banged up and scratched)" I'd love to see which watches you really take good care of.

Edit: what happened at 8:32?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics