• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim cut suits that are business appropriate?

RTenenbaum

Reaction score
I've lurked for awhile, but this is my first post.

I'm a law student with 2 fairly crappy suits from my undergrad days (Jones NY and Bill Blass). I'd like to pick up a third (good) suit for interviews and work that is appropriate for a law firm setting. I've got an athletic build so I like to slim cut, narrow lapel look -- but I think some of those style suits are not conservative enough for a law firm.

I like the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald and Milano lines, but I can't really afford $1,000 (plus tailoring) for a suit right now. Does anyone know of anything similar in style (preferably half-canvas) to either of those in the $400-500 range?

Thanks!

divitius

Reaction score
BB suiting essentials separates are about that price, though not as nice obviously. I think they can come in Regent cuts... Also, sale starts next week.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
For a half-canvas garment, it really doesn't get better OTR than Brooks. Check out their suiting essentials are get two for the deal they have

You can also try internet MTM outfits like Indochino (Their CEO told me most/all of theirs are full-canvas) but that might not be the best way to go for starting out your wardrobe.

Navi

Reaction score
If you have some free time as well as a good idea of how a well fitting suit looks, as well as identifying dated and old looking styles, thrifting is an option. Depending on where you live you could find a good suit and spend some money tailoring it well, and probably spend less than $150 total.

But you really need to know whats good and whats not. Beyond that, B&S and ebay are VERY good sources for nice clothes if you have patience and know your measurements well. Good luck!

RTenenbaum

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Originally Posted by divitius
BB suiting essentials separates are about that price, though not as nice obviously. I think they can come in Regent cuts... Also, sale starts next week.

Thanks for the idea. How often does BB have a sale?

divitius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Thanks for the idea. How often does BB have a sale?
Oh, pretty often, to varying degrees. Other folks here would know better, I've only bought suits from them once through the website. They have a "Friends & Family" sale twice a year I think- in spring and in fall for 15-20% off. The next one should start around May 5.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your size?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum

Thanks for the idea. How often does BB have a sale?

You can get a BB suit during their sales for about $650.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads