• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modernist Cuisine; the $625 cookbook.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best part about that site is the ability to set a price watch. Almost any product on amazon will eventually go down to it's lowest price a second time, so you can set it to email you when it hits that level again. Got an amazing deal on my last tv.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Best part about that site is the ability to set a price watch. Almost any product on amazon will eventually go down to it's lowest price a second time, so you can set it to email you when it hits that level again. Got an amazing deal on my last tv.

amazing. what'll you kids think of next?
btw, i'm not expecting the modernist to go close-out. it's a vanity publication and the guy certainly does not need the money. i think he'd rather keep an impressive price and sell fewer books than discount to sell a few more.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another bump, just read an awesome article on this guy in the latest issue of Wired.

Definitely need this book, but getting it as a gift for my girlfriend as she's an amazing cook and a scientist.

Recently saw a cheaper setup for doing sous vide at home, and intrigued to try it now.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Recently saw a cheaper setup for doing sous vide at home, and intrigued to try it now.
I made the version out of Make magazine, and it has been working very well. IMO it's much better than most of the homemade versions which are basically putting a pid on a slowcooker.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
This one?

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...on-cooker.html

Oh my...this looks outrageous.

sous-vide-egg1.jpg

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Oh my...this looks outrageous.
sous-vide-egg1.jpg

Trying this egg recipe via the bootleg sous vide in the video below right now.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty fun experiment. Looks like this type of sous-vide can produce decent results. I think my temp was slightly lower than recommended b/c my yolk was a little less set than those in the recipe. Pics Just yolk with white cleaned off:
5540272359_b353f4cea5.jpg
Cut open:
5540274389_9b8e16612a.jpg
Bread crumbed & pan fried:
5540274385_f784b5f10b.jpg
My photography skills aren't a match for those in that article, and I didn't deep fry the yolk. Also didn't egg wash and bread the yolk, just rolled it in regular bread crumbs. I ended up putting it on some toast, but didn't take any pictures because I was too busy eating. It had the consistency of a custard.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice job! Would you go out of your way to make it again? You've got me interested.

Great photos, too.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Wow, nice job! Would you go out of your way to make it again? You've got me interested.

Great photos, too.

Ha - thanks. I've wanted to try the stove-top sous vide for a while, and this egg recipe was an easy intro.

I would definitely make it again, but would deep fry it like in the recipe. It'd be a fun thing to serve others.

Generally though, it's a hell of a lot quicker and easier to just poach an egg if you're going to put it on toast. Having the fried crunch all around the yolk would be great.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Ha - thanks. I've wanted to try the stove-top sous vide for a while, and this egg recipe was an easy intro. I would definitely make it again, but would deep fry it like in the recipe. It'd be a fun thing to serve others. Generally though, it's a hell of a lot quicker and easier to just poach an egg if you're going to put it on toast. Having the fried crunch all around the yolk would be great.
Poached eggs are a favorite of mine; I especially enjoy them served over roasted asparagus. That egg recipe reminds me of an "updated" version of the classic egg's benedict in a previous issue of Fine Cooking.
051104083-01-eggs-benedict-update.jpg
Essentially you are poaching the eggs and bacon in a ball of plastic wrap, chilling, coating in english muffin crumbs, and then deep frying. http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/d...naigrette.aspx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics