• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience with Charles Tyrwhitt Slim or Tailor fit shirts?

shawn$

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Ive been into the store a couple times and often browse their online stuff--does anyone have experience with their slim or tailor fit shirts?

They always have sales--it's basically the same sale year round--from what I've seen it does seem like decent quality--but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Anyone have anything to say about their suits?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like their shirts and if you get them on deep discount I think they are a good deal. I'm six feet, 170, 39 chest, slim but not skinny. The slim fit shirts aren't that slim. I can live with them as they are but ideally would have another couple of inches nipped off the sides. Never tried the tailored fit, IIRC there wasn't much of a variety of them.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These shirts have been discussed a few times. Just run a search and you will see some of the feedback..

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two of the tailored CT shirts (ordered them online), and I fortunately tried one on in the store on Madison Ave. I am hardly what one would consider "slim" (5'10", 192 lbs., 42/43" chest) and although I was able to get into my regular size in a tailored fit shirt, the phrase "skin on a sausage" did come to mind - I sized up a half size, and the waist of the shirt is more comfortable for me. I believe that the difference in waist size between slim and tailored is a couple of inches, at least.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I am 6'1 and about 210, not slim, just kind of medium I guess. The slim fit shirts (size 16.5/34) fit me great and are very flattering. I imagine they would be a bit big on somebody thinner, but then again they'd probably be wearing a smaller size anyway. Don't pay more than $50 per shirt. If you e-mail them and ask, usually they'll give you free shipping. They respond within a day.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
What is the difference between the two cuts though (Slim vs Tailored)?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
What is the difference between the two cuts though (Slim vs Tailored)?

"Tailored" is more fitted than slim.

Der Alte

Reaction score
My experience is that CT Slim Fit is not a slim fit at all! It's more like a huge tent. I'm 5'8" tall and I weight 154lbs. Chest is 38.5", waist 31.5" and hips 36" and the shirt in the picture is 15.5"/33".

CT_shirt_small.jpg

I'm just wondering is the CT's Tailored Fit -shirts fit enough. Other options would be BB's Extra Slim Fit shirts or T.M. Lewins Fully Fitted (John Francomb) shirts but after CT's Slim Fits I'm not sure about those. Maybe I have to test some shirts from Modern Tailor. Opinions?

yeeth

Reaction score
tmlewin's fully fitted shirts really do have a dramatic taper to them. might even be too fitted for some D: only problem is that there is less variety, and if i'm not wrong they come only with french cuffs.

Tano

Reaction score
Tm lewin slim are the slimmest. Ct shirts are next. Brooks brothers and Harvie & Hudson slim fits are too big in the waist.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ran off to the bathroom to snap this.

CT.jpg

This is an unaltered CT slim-fit, and there's no crazy back tucking going on. I'm not exactly skinny, but I think (hope) most would categorize me as slim at. The shirt is a 16/35.5. I'm rumpled as ****, but I assure you that the sleeves fit. I'm 6'5 ~210 and ususlly wear a 42L and 34W (36 in Mabitex). I've had great experiences with both CT and Lewin's slim fits.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like their non-iron slim fit shirts. They are cheaper than BB and the fabric is softer. They also fit me better. I wear a size 15 collar with almost every brand but with BB I need a 14.5. I own four TW shirts in white twill and a few in gingham and other patterns. The quality is nothing special but they fit well and are a good value for the money.

I order them when they have a 4/100 GBP "sale." It is less than $40 per shirt after subtracting VAT and adding shipping. Paying in GBP is nearly always cheaper than paying in USD.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I just ran off to the bathroom to snap this.

CT.jpg

This is an unaltered CT slim-fit, and there's no crazy back tucking going on. I'm not exactly skinny, but I think (hope) most would categorize me as slim at. The shirt is a 16/35.5. I'm rumpled as ****, but I assure you that the sleeves fit. I'm 6'5 ~210 and ususlly wear a 42L and 34W (36 in Mabitex). I've had great experiences with both CT and Lewin's slim fits.

Looks pretty good.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Im a fan of CT Shirts mainly because they can alter the sleeves for minimal fee and no hassle -- a must for me since I'm definitely shorter than most. I wear a 14.5 neck and have my sleeves tailored down to 31.5. The slim fits are good, but the tailored fit fits me much more "slim" in the waist and really its what I think a slim fit shirt should be. I'm 5'3" 135-138lbs and about a 36" chest.

I have a regular fit CT shirt somewhere in my closet, I may have to do a side by side by side comparison tonight or tomorrow and post the three fits.

My biggest problem with CT is that they have a pretty boring variety in tailored fit. But, at the same time, whites and blues (and variants of each) is really what I need as go-tos for everyday wear.

On a different note: I do really enjoy CTs narrower ties (not too narrow, not too wide good for a dude with a small chest).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads