• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Ridiculous Nit Ever Picked On Style Forum

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For a while I though foo was getting the worst of it with the endless comments about how one seam was 1/10 mm of and "how can you tolerate that with bespoke!!!!" But this:

Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I really don't mean any harm. This has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I don't recall a reply. Is the granny knot faux-sprezz, a Manton signature item, or do you really not know how to tie a square knot? For a guy that's fairly meticulous when it comes to the appropriate way to do wear a tie, pocket square, and on and on, I'm surprised that you tie your shoes the way that you do. I'm not making a cosmetic point either, granny knots are far less secure than square knots.

Any chance that you're left-handed and never thought about how you tie your shoes?

takes the cake.

Post your nominations for the most ridiculous nit ever picked on SF.

Runner up for me was this one:

Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
manton, i think i've mentioned this before, but it looks sloppy the way your shirt cuffs fall so low when you raise your arms. the way it looks in the last picture is the way they should all look. either you are getting your sleeves too short or your cuffs too large.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't you been on this forum long enough to realize that it takes a Machiavellian approach to shoes laces? I've pointed out lack of bar lacing on balmorals before. Anything else looks sloppy. I guess the "granny" knot looks funny because of the vertical orientation.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and imagine accusing manton of being a LEFTY!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the granny knot thing was covered in the shoe episode of Put This On.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
and imagine accusing manton of being a LEFTY!

I am, actually.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am, actually.

i prefer to think of you as sinister.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Runner up for me was this one:

Commenting on the size of shirt cuffs isn't nitpicking. That guy was just plain wrong, though. I guess he'd never seen someone with skinny arms before.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Commenting on the size of shirt cuffs isn't nitpicking. That guy was just plain wrong, though. I guess he'd never seen someone with skinny arms before.

No, you have to read the thread. He was reacting to a self-taken photo using a mirror. His point was that the cuff had receded on my raised arm.

Well, duh.

My cuffs are quite snug, much too snug for a watch, for instance.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My head would explode if I had to list all the silly fit nits based on a single photograph people have said over the years .

nohio

Reaction score
For a while I though foo was getting the worst of it with the endless comments about how one seam was 1/10 mm of and "how can you tolerate that with bespoke!!!!" But this takes the cake.

I don't think it is a nitpick. I noticed the same thing in your photos and found it really jarring, especially since your fits are usually impeccable. Plus it's called a "granny" knot. Not cool. Tie your shoes like a man.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am, actually.

I knew it!
teacha.gif

Seriously though, I think you're blowing this out of proportion - wasn't even really a nit being piacked. Not all comments should be accorded the same level of gravity. I said it in my initial comment and meant what I said - I wasn't intending to offend you or anyone else. Obviously it doesn't matter to anyone else how you tie your shoes. My comment wasn't an attack on your appearance or your style. I'm not sure why this stood out more than anything else - particularly given how harsh people can be on here.

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'm also a southpaw, and didn't realize until a few years ago that I had been tying granny knots (my theory is that some righty person taught me to time my shoelaces and didn't account for my sinistrality, or whatever. Long story short, or medium as it were, if I didn't double knot as a kid, my shoelaces would come untied. All. The. Time. I spent a lot of time on the soccer field, football field, basketball court, baseball diamond, etc. tying shoelaces. Now that I made the switch, my shoes always stay tied (honestly it was never an issue with dress shoes since waxed laces pretty much take care of the problem). If anyone reading the thread has issues with their shoelaces, maybe they learned something.

for the tl/dr crowd - no offense was meant and I have no idea why it was made to be such a big deal.

fistbump.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads