• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Suit from MyTailor.com - Fitted in Toronto

slaman

Reaction score
I have spent the past couple of hours digging through the various threads about MTM and bespoke tailors local in Toronto, and also some reviews of some of the travelling tailors... specifically the Hemrajani Brothers (MyTailor.com)

I am looking for a textured black suit for my wedding... my budget is ~$1000, so wanted to know what my best option was.

Today, I got fitted by Andre Lani in Toronto for MyTailor.com and he was really great... I brought my last tailored suit (a decent one made in Bangkok by Crown Tailors, but with really horrible fabric), as a comparison.

I chose a medium thickness black herringbone design and there are three price-points I was given:
$1295 for a Scabal Super 130
$1095 for a Holland & Sherry Super 130
$895 for another Italian fabric - Super 120 I think

1. Are the price points decent? Which is the best "value" considering my budget?
2. MyTailor.com is good for suits? I read mixed reviews...
3. Should I specify a high button stance, full canvas, and slim fit? Anything other recommendations?
4. Should I be worried that this was the only fitting? He said any alterations can be done with a local tailor and then they would reimburse me...
5. Should I check out someone local instead? (Harry Rosen MTM? Don Lee?)
6. I got 3" notch lapels, no vents, no pleats, no cuffs... any other suggestions?

Thoughts appreciated!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the fabrics and the price as I've had no experience with mytailor.com, but make sure you get a low buttoning point and a high armhole.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slaman

I am looking for a textured black suit for my wedding... my budget is ~$1000, so wanted to know what my best option was.

$895 for another Italian fabric - Super 120 I think

1. Are the price points decent? Which is the best "value" considering my budget?

3. Should I specify a high button stance, full canvas, and slim fit? Anything other recommendations?

6. I got 3" notch lapels, no vents, no pleats, no cuffs... any other suggestions?

Thoughts appreciated!

Only one is within your budget. So unless you 're willing to increase the budget. Black wedding suit won't get you any love.

Don't try and pick things off a list. You either need to know what looks best on you or find somebody that can make those choices for you.

No vents won't get you any love either.

slaman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Only one is within your budget. So unless you 're willing to increase the budget. Black wedding suit won't get you any love.

Don't try and pick things off a list. You either need to know what looks best on you or find somebody that can make those choices for you.

No vents won't get you any love either.

Don't vents make a jacket a bit more casual?

I saw all three fabrics and I really liked the Scabal, but wasn't sure if it was worth the premium. I personally couldn't tell a difference between the other two, but hey, what do I know!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you buying a dinner suit/tuxedo or a normal suit?

Unless you're getting a dinner suit then get vents.

If you are getting a dinner suit then you want to change the notch to either peak or shawl . You'll want single button. But I don't think this is what you want.

ktrp

Reaction score
It would help to know if he's talking tuxedo or suit. A black suit for your own wedding would seem ghastly to me. Go grey or blue.. A m2m tuxedo for your own evening wedding would be a fine thing to do. Although I wouldn't think herringbone would be appropriate for a tux.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get a suit for a grand at Spiros but I don't recommend them unless you want really boxy tailoring. The work was excellent, but I hate the cut of the suit I got for my wedding.

slaman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
It would help to know if he's talking tuxedo or suit. A black suit for your own wedding would seem ghastly to me. Go grey or blue.. A m2m tuxedo for your own evening wedding would be a fine thing to do. Although I wouldn't think herringbone would be appropriate for a tux.

Well, our colours are black and silver, which is why I chose the black suit. It's a suit, not a dinner suit / tux.

I guess if I had to choose to invest in either a local tailor or better fabric (through MyTailor.com), where should the money go?

Matt S

Reaction score
Well, our colours are black and silver, which is why I chose the black suit. It's a suit, not a dinner suit / tux.

I guess if I had to choose to invest in either a local tailor or better fabric (through MyTailor.com), where should the money go?

Unless you are dying at your wedding you should avoid a black suit. Get a very dark charcoal grey herringbone instead. Or if you must, get a light grey suit to match your colour scheme.

juuceman

Reaction score
i've had eight suits made by hemrajani brothers / mytailor.com

i've kept the first suit to have something to wear in heavy rain/nasty winter weather; i had it made in a very heavy wool in their least expensive category to see how the pattern fit me; i edited from there and had pattern made in both flannels and lighter weight fabrics am generally very happy with them.

the classic advice is invest in tailoring, not material.

for years, before hong kong mtm salesmen traveled, the advice was to purchase a decent suit and spend $200 to have it talored locally.

i'm unsure whether hemrajani will provide you with the fit you're looking for on the first shot, and i'd be concerned given that it's my wedding; why not purchase a decent fitting designer suit for your wedding, bring it to the best tailor in your town for alterations, and work with them from there to develop a wardrobe?

slaman

Reaction score
Good idea... but I've had really bad luck with off the rack... my arms are unusually long for my height, so either my jacket is too long, or the sleeves are too short. I was skeptical about the MyTailor.com suit with 1 fitting... might have to suck it up and go with someone local instead.

Thx for advice!

Millerp

Reaction score
Since you are in Toronto, you should at least stop into Harry Rosen (Bloor St. store) to see
what they can do for you MTM. They may be over your budget regular price but they
do have sales. You will get an up to date Canadian made suit and they will do all the
alterations free if they are necessary. You are taking a risk getting an Asian made suit from
a salesman in a hotel room but YMMV and many have been pleased.

inkwretch

Reaction score
Good idea... but I've had really bad luck with off the rack... my arms are unusually long for my height, so either my jacket is too long, or the sleeves are too short. I was skeptical about the MyTailor.com suit with 1 fitting... might have to suck it up and go with someone local instead.

Thx for advice!

Talk to Joe Hemrajani. He may do a second fitting to get things dialed in just right if needed. I've found him to be very accomodating. Depends how much time you have.

slaman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Since you are in Toronto, you should at least stop into Harry Rosen (Bloor St. store) to see
what they can do for you MTM. They may be over your budget regular price but they
do have sales. You will get an up to date Canadian made suit and they will do all the
alterations free if they are necessary. You are taking a risk getting an Asian made suit from
a salesman in a hotel room but YMMV and many have been pleased.

Ok, will check out Harry Rosen as well... went to see Don Lee (Trend Custom Tailors) and just saw the massive difference in the work he does versus what MyTailor.com was offering (Don Lee is true bespoke, full canvass, and very unique)...

Thanks for all the advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads