• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
if you want a "jumpstart", I would focus almost exclusively on diet. Look up the RFL program by Lyle Macdonald. It is a lot easier to not put calories in to your body, than it is to try to burn them off after you eat them.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoofan, I'll do the work for you. What's your height and weight if you don't mind my asking? I assume you are 30 years old.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Jeezus, I'm not an idiot. I understand that diet and exercise are the two key components. The issue is: what kind of exercise? There are obviously many different approaches. I provided my preferences and circumstances to get specific suggestions.

I read your preferences and circumstances and agreed that P90X is as close to a jump-start as you're going to find that fits in with a busy schedule and a goal of general fitness and fat-loss. You can do this at home: no going to a gym, no traffic, no waiting on machines. It requires little equipment, which generally can be stowed away when not in use. And you're doing cardio but with a high level of muscular stress, which is (iirc) ideal for burning fat.

The kind of exercise isn't all that essential, bearing in mind that form follows function. Anything you do that raises your heart rate and keeps it there for 30+ minutes will yield results. The key is consistency, and for that you have to go with something you WANT to do and WILL do day-after-day. Consistency in your program trumps any particular exercise in terms of solid, long-term goals.

Regarding diet: concentrate on vegetables and whole grains.

I hope this helps.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For everyone that's recommending PX90, I am not even sure if Foo can handle it.

Just starting running, or cycling, or do some body weight exercises, and DIET.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to change my shape, other than trimming my waist and stomach. Absolutely do not want to add bulk. Would P90x work for this?
Dude - run. You're not going to find any other form of exercise that will give you the flexibility you are looking for. Abs, by the way, are made in the kitchen. You do not seem dedicated enough to put in the time and effort needed so it's not like you're training for some competition where you need to know which exercise is most optimal - they'll all be fine for you. I personally think running is the one that will fit into your schedule and not require equipment or a gym membership or having room in front of a tv to workout.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeezus, I'm not an idiot. I understand that diet and exercise are the two key components. The issue is: what kind of exercise? There are obviously many different approaches. I provided my preferences and circumstances to get specific suggestions.
great. Get a gym membership (you don't have to, but it is by far the easiest way). Cardio twice a week. Cycling is usually the one people find the easiest to get motivation for. circuit training stuff twice a week (e.g. crossfit, P90x etc) and heavy weights once a week (full body workout: Squats 3x5, Bench 3x5, Deadlifts/power cleans 3x5, military press 3x5). Youtube/mark rippetoe books for proper form on each of the lifts. 3 means 3 sets, 5 means 5 repetitions. 2 mins between sets. So you would squat 5 times, 2 min break, squat 5 times, 2 min break, squat 5 times. Find the weight where it's very very dificult but achievable for you to do 5 reps. But start out light first so you get your form good. and eat clean.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Dude - run. You're not going to find any other form of exercise that will give you the flexibility you are looking for. Abs, by the way, are made in the kitchen. You do not seem dedicated enough to put in the time and effort needed so it's not like you're training for some competition where you need to know which exercise is most optimal - they'll all be fine for you. I personally think running is the one that will fit into your schedule and not require equipment or a gym membership or having room in front of a tv to workout.

I would have recommended running to Foo (I run, myself), but he's untrained and looking for a jump-start - which will get him injured in a hurry. If Foo had an athletic background, or the persistence to start at 15 minute runs for a few weeks....then I'd suggest running.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can even do the 10-minute Trainer workouts and stack them depending on how much time you have.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I would have recommended running to Foo (I run, myself), but he's untrained and looking for a jump-start - which will get him injured in a hurry. If Foo had an athletic background, or the persistence to start at 15 minute runs for a few weeks....then I'd suggest running.
I didn't realize any exercise program that someone with a busy schedule that can only do 45 minutes or so whenever time opens up can provide a "jump-start". If p90x does that, then fine. I also think running is pretty darn simple - p90x with all its workouts is not - and although you can get injured, the chances are a lot lower. IMO, it just sounds like it would fit his lifestyle better. The sad thing is that none of these workouts are just burning up the calories. Honestly, abs are made in the kitchen. Pretty soon you won't be able to fit into your clothing and that should be motivation enough to stop eating desserts that look good.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
This without a doubt some of the worst advice I've read in the health section. Just because your skinny doesn't mean you can't bulk. I started at 112lb at 6'2" and got to 170lb by lifting so yes you can change your size quite drastically. Diet is more important then exercise. You can't gain muscle if your eating no protein and 1500 calories a day and your not going to loose weight eating heavily above maintenance. If you just want to get lean and your not worried about strength or getting more muscular do HIIT or something very intense. You have unrealistic expectations, 45 minutes of working out in your house for a few months isn't going to do anything in terms of loosing weight or putting on muscle.

5*5, right brah?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Join a gym and use the stairmaster 45 minutes/day, 5 days/week. If you don't want to join the gym, run the stairs in your apartment building for 45 minutes/day. Run the steps at the local high school stadium when the weather gets nicer.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I didn't realize any exercise program that someone with a busy schedule that can only do 45 minutes or so whenever time opens up can provide a "jump-start". If p90x does that, then fine.

I also think running is pretty darn simple - p90x with all its workouts is not - and although you can get injured, the chances are a lot lower. IMO, it just sounds like it would fit his lifestyle better.

The sad thing is that none of these workouts are just burning up the calories. Honestly, abs are made in the kitchen. Pretty soon you won't be able to fit into your clothing and that should be motivation enough to stop eating desserts that look good.

I joined my son for a few P90X workouts, and when done properly they're quite taxing - and I'm fairly fit. You can slough off on the form and not work as hard, the trainer even suggests that you back off on the form if you're feeling weak or winded - so you can mange your effort level as you're starting out and then ramp up when you're feeling strong.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hire a super pretty yoga instructor and put her on retainer.

do super hard 30min yoga workouts with her. after the yoga or before if you prefer run for 15min (this should be maybe two miles or a 1.5miles if you want to jog it).

eventually you can get the yoga workouts to around 25min and run 5k/3miles in a 20-25min.

you'll be taught/flexible/a decent runner all in one swoop. plus the yoga and running clear the mind.

also you can build a rapport with the yoga girl and eventually have hot nasty extramarital sex with her to complicate things in a good way.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait -- how about Wii Fit? I'm being serious.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut 1/4-1/3 of your daily caloric intake for a month

Buy a bike and do 2 laps around Central Park 2 days a week

Problem solved

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads