• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar

I am open to suggestions on what the colour actually is, and just as a footnote, the shirt is not pink, but actually red and white twill.

Looks good. The colour depends on which way the light strikes it. Makes it enigmatic and alluring, which is why the chicks dig it.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the chicks dig it because they can see your junk through the pants?
wink.gif

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
sator - prince - this is the issue here.

Certainly the wool can be cool with the lighter weights but to a certain extent wool always looks to me a bit more formal than say cotton or linen.

Part of the summer look is a bit less formality with the hotter weather. And colours - lighter colours seem more appropriate on hot days. The lighter colours to my mind don't seem to work as well in wool and the texture seems a bit wrong. (I don't claim much expertise here at all and there may well be new possibilities in wool)

The reality is that most people don't need the actual lightness/coolness of material as most offices, cars, places of work and homes are permanently set at around 21C - 22C all year round.

Me I like to feel and look a bit summery (not to the extent of no socks or wearing shorts). I've always thought of linen blends or cotton and part lined/ buggy lined jackets. I think totally unstructured in those materials looks a little too sloppy casual.

I imagine having 3 suits, linen blend (I think the blends tend to look better than just linen) or cotton, buggy lined, one in the tan /ecru spectrum, one off white, one in the blue spectrum towards the lighter end of blue. Then mixing and matching jackets and pants as the week goes on.

Linen gives that bit of texture I like.

I can't see myself in seer sucker - it seems not to fit here in Oz to me.

Sator - Wool handles an unlined construction well - would some of the lighter wools work to give a texture and colour and slightly more relaxed summer look or do they all basically look like a normal suit and just feel lighter?

Mate I agree entirely and it has been my habit to dress in pure linen (Irish and Belgian) in summer for so long now that I find any wool suit uncomfortable to wear in summer in Sydney. One suit I have is is striped and one is a nutmeg plaid I got from Paul Frederick in Belgian Delave linen.

If anyone wants to wear seersucker I have a brand new one/never worn that was 44R and I had it taken in to 44S. It could be lengthened I imagine. My wife would not let me wear it but I have had it hanging around and am happy to sell it.

Originally Posted by CHECKstar
20110120.jpg

I am open to suggestions on what the colour actually is, and just as a footnote, the shirt is not pink, but actually red and white twill.

That is similar to what I wear. "Flax"is the colour or "ëcru" or "cream". Pure linen gives the rumpled look that looks a bit Via Veneto and you find you get lots of complements because you look a bit "foreign" or "colonial" and everyone secretly loves that look and would like to wear it but is afraid looking "crumpled" is aka "untidy"...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
very nice. i've just had a linen suit made in a similar colour to yours.
how do you feel about wearing it in a crowd of black and grey suits?

You should try the APS in Canberra the place looks like its full of Greek Grandmothers or wannabe Mafia dons. Black in all its glorious Lowes, and Roger David polyester blends abound. I used to wear a lot of black in academia but this lot have put me off it for life.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
I think you're right about the jacket being a tad short and those pants do look shall we say "fitted" but overall I think it looks good

youngnstupid

Reaction score
hi guys
smile.gif

i realized no one has mentioned the herrinbone warehouse sale thats on, so i joined just to tell you
smile.gif

theres two, one in chatswood and one in surry hills

the one in surry hills is 118 commonwealth street. i dont know the address of the chatswood one

theres shirts for 110 and suits for 599 i think - popped in there today and theres alot of stock. picked up myself a cashmere sweater even though its like a bazillion degrees for 177 dollars down from 400
smile.gif

anyways you guys should check it out!

youngnstupid

Reaction score
oh and i was wondering if anyone knows any good shirts that have small shoulders? cause i have girl shoulders
smile.gif

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngnstupid
oh and i was wondering if anyone knows any good shirts that have small shoulders? cause i have girl shoulders
smile.gif

MJ Bale have some "super slim" shirts going for about $100 at the moment. Check them out they may fir the bill. Since they opened in the city I've been impressed with their stuff - unlike HB I don't have to wait for a sale or dodge the junkies at Surry Hills to get shirts at a reasonable price...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi guys
smile.gif

i realized no one has mentioned the herrinbone warehouse sale thats on, so i joined just to tell you
smile.gif

theres two, one in chatswood and one in surry hills

the one in surry hills is 118 commonwealth street. i dont know the address of the chatswood one

theres shirts for 110 and suits for 599 i think - popped in there today and theres alot of stock. picked up myself a cashmere sweater even though its like a bazillion degrees for 177 dollars down from 400
smile.gif

anyways you guys should check it out!

Good to know - I had planned to go but last time their was a warehouse "sale" I was disappointed. A mate is in the market for a couple of new suits so I might go with him and check it out.

What sizes are left? Anything in the bog standard 40R and M or is it all giants' and midgets' attire?

youngnstupid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Good to know - I had planned to go but last time their was a warehouse "sale" I was disappointed. A mate is in the market for a couple of new suits so I might go with him and check it out.

What sizes are left? Anything in the bog standard 40R and M or is it all giants' and midgets' attire?

ummmmm

theres heaps and heaps of shirts there, boxes marked from S - XXL - so yes theres M there. I dont know about 40R but theres 41's and 39's that i specifically looked at. theres like 5 suits left though dont know the sizes, like 8 plaid blazers (from observation it was a big range of sizes) , a few other coats/blazers - 20 chinos and some pants in red and light blue (looked at like 3 and they were size 50?) , heaps of ties - cashmere sweaters are just XS, S and M (only looked at 2 colours though) like 3 swim trunks left - like 2 pairs of shoes and heaps of casual belts

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont bother with the Herringbone sale, garbage as per..
So was MJ bale actually

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ummmmm

theres heaps and heaps of shirts there, boxes marked from S - XXL - so yes theres M there. I dont know about 40R but theres 41's and 39's that i specifically looked at. theres like 5 suits left though dont know the sizes, like 8 plaid blazers (from observation it was a big range of sizes) , a few other coats/blazers - 20 chinos and some pants in red and light blue (looked at like 3 and they were size 50?) , heaps of ties - cashmere sweaters are just XS, S and M (only looked at 2 colours though) like 3 swim trunks left - like 2 pairs of shoes and heaps of casual belts

40R in suits - not shirts. Always heaps of shirts at the warehouse but sadly don't fit my gorilla arms, and unless they are on deep discount it's not worth buying a larger size and having them altered.

The MJB "sale" is actually only on a few certain items... a bit misleading actually. Which store did you visit JP? I noticed the Westfield one had moved a lot of stock in a week between visits there. SA told me since the new stores opened they have been sharing stock between them from the original store, hence the range and sizes were a bit scant. He said they'd have more stock for A/W coming in from next week.

I get my shirts made but the basic line 'super slim' ones MJB were selling looked decent quality and much cheaper than HB - $99 as opposed to $190. They also had 'Cleanskin' shirts for $60 from memory. Their top of the line shirts were more exxy though, and not on sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads