• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Fish

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I'm not sure it is so true anymore. At least it isn't in San Francisco. You have to be willing to go a little out of your way, but not much.
San Francisco is one of, I'd guess, 3 or 4 cities in the US where I'd imagine you do actually have some meaningful options. Comparing SF to Baltimore, or most of the United States, is not really fair.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the Caribbean a few weeks ago and most of the fish available at the market/supermarket was imported from Miami. We were told multiple times that there is local fish and fishermen but the hotels and restaurants buy all of their catch, every day. Entirely locked in by the local hospitality industry. It's possible to go meet the fishermen around 4:30 or 5pm when they get in and buy some of their catch on the spot but something that's much easier for locals to do than for tourists.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I was in the Caribbean a few weeks ago and most of the fish available at the market/supermarket was imported from Miami. We were told multiple times that there is local fish and fishermen but the hotels and restaurants buy all of their catch, every day. Entirely locked in by the local hospitality industry. It's possible to go meet the fishermen around 4:30 or 5pm when they get in and buy some of their catch on the spot but something that's much easier for locals to do than for tourists.

Were you not staying at a hotel so that you could benefit from this?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Were you not staying at a hotel so that you could benefit from this?

No we had a house, but we had a local chef come cook for us a couple of nights and he had access to all the local stuff. Hence my falling in love with that Caicos lobster thing - it was truly delicious (and I'm not one to care much for lobster)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
No we had a house, but we had a local chef come cook for us a couple of nights and he had access to all the local stuff. Hence my falling in love with that Caicos lobster thing - it was truly delicious (and I'm not one to care much for lobster)

I will have to try this. Is it like Langoustine?

I don't really like lobster much, as I've said a few times.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
my fish guy can get pretty much any of the exotic fish, but the prices may be outrageous. on the other hand, it took me for ******* ever to find salt cod around here.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I will have to try this. Is it like Langoustine?
No it's not. Langoustine meat is very soft and subtle in taste. This is a firm meat that packs a lot more flavor (think of a very tasty and gigantic gambas). They pack a lot more meat than New England lobsters by the way.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
my fish guy can get pretty much any of the exotic fish, but the prices may be outrageous. on the other hand, it took me for ******* ever to find salt cod around here.

that's because you insist on going to white-boy markets. try grand central market downtown. or seafood village in eagle rock.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just as everything else in the culture is getting blanded out into "one country", so is the fish selection. There are really only a couple of major fishing ports in the country anymore ... Seattle and Boston area. Other places have smaller fisheries, but they don't really catch much. So when you go to a seafood market in los angeles, you're likely to find the same fish as in new york or minneapolis. you can go to Asian markets and get more variety, but most of those fish are imported, so the variety at asian markets is similarly similar. in southern california, we have only the tattered remnants of a fishing community (and we were once BIG ... canned tuna was invented here). Commercially, the only things caught are sardines, mackerel and squid. you can also find some small fishers of prawns, spiny lobsters, etc. and, of course, there's a huge spiny lobster fishery, but almost all of that goes to japan.
the only way to change this is to work hard at seeking out vendors who will supply local specialties. it'll cost more and you won't find them at the supermarket, but it can be done.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that's because you insist on going to white-boy markets. try grand central market downtown. or seafood village in eagle rock.
i just get sketched out by places that have their fish piled in crates in the middle of the store like produce for everyone to touch. i've never gone to grand central for anything but prepared food. i'll give both a shot. for the record i went to two thai and one latino market looking for salt cod before i finally found it in north glendale.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

Is that the place in the mall on Colorado and the 2? I've walked by that place a dozen times without going in. Have you been to Fish King in Glendale?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Is that the place in the mall on Colorado and the 2? I've walked by that place a dozen times without going in. Have you been to Fish King in Glendale?

yeah, it's a super place; astonishing fish, both quality and variety (somewhat surprising because filipino markets aren't typically like that). Fish King is good, also, but you're really paying a premium price there for a much narrower selection.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron

fish king is where i got the salt cod. russ would skip it in favor of nearby Arko foods, with the perpetually wet floors and ruptured packages of frozen pork blood in the freezer.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads