• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alligator belts

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Tardini on STP for about $150 or less. I'm happy with mine.

Ditto. I assume they are pieced, but I've been unable to find any seams, even by carefully inspecting the edges. They've apparently done a very careful job.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Do you work for Trafalgar? Every one of your 8 posts on this forum mentions Trafalgar belts.

Does Trafalgar make various lines? The only Trafalgar belts I've ever owned were cheap pieces of junk.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ROI
Two characteristics to look for in an alligator belt are small, consistent pillow size and a minimum of piecing. Unfortunately, the two tend to counter one another.<clip>

The drawback of the one-piece construction is that the pattern on the skin usually varies over the length of the belt.

Why is "small, consistent pillow size" so desirable? I can see how it would be more difficult and rare for a belt to have this characteristic but I've always kind of liked the natural variations found in alligator...especially the more abrupt contrasts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought two from BB many years ago and they have held up well through lots of wear.

Bargs

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren's stuff is very well made, IMO - I recently picked up an Italian-made Purple Label alligator belt with a sterling buckle that retails for almost 1K on eBay for $265. Keep your eye on eBay for deals as RL's retail prices for their alligator belts has really gone through the roof over the last few years and they go on sale very infrequently.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Does Trafalgar make various lines? The only Trafalgar belts I've ever owned were cheap pieces of junk.

I have two Trafalgar dress belts, the standard ones with the calfskin and brass buckle, and I think they're good. You mean these?

I ordered a casual belt from STP that feels much cheaper than the dress belts.

I bought their alligator billfold recently and I think it's quite good. I don't know about their alligator belts.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

Since their pricing covers the whole $40-$400 range, and the belts are sold anywhere from Neiman Marcus to TJMaxx, I'd assume they do. I just ordered a belt from their higher-end offerings, so we'll see when it gets here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question, sightly off topic:

What do you wear these belts with? Do you need to have alligator shoes?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Do you need to have alligator shoes?
No. I'd wear a brown alligator belt with any brown shoes, for example. In-fact, both in alligator might be a bit too 'matchy'.

tc20

Reaction score
Looking for RLPL alligator if anyone is interested in selling pm.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Giona Granata
Moreschi. http://www.moreschi.it/ But also I saw some at Brooks Brothers very nice.
I purchased the BB one and returned it as the quality was not up to what I expected. I believe I counted three pieces of skin grafted together. It was done quite well but I wanted a one piece.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinto Ranch sells gator skin belts. You can get standard size dress belts, tapered belts, or 1 1/2 inch belts from them for about $350 or less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads