• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had $250 to spend on a watch...

kookydooky

Reaction score
Well i havent used my seiko skx007 abecause I am waiting for a strap so I have it just on my desk.

Ive noticed after a couple of hours or even within an hour the watch just stops moving,

Whats with that? I thought these watches are supposed to have a 40 hour power reserve or something. You know for when you sleep. and this is with me just fiddling with the watch in my hand fo a couple of minutes every now and then during the day.

Can this watch be wound up or anything?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wind it manually about 40-45 times clockwise and that should give it a full power, if it stops working after a few hours then you might want to get it calibrated or checked. Swinging it around or shaking doesn't really work as well and can just damage the watch.

konoyaro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Yeah, I don't think I know of any automatic watch that cannot be manually wound using the crown.

"Other companies like Seiko and Orient developed highly efficient self-winding mechanisms that allowed their watches to be designed without a wind up feature. In some self-winding mechanisms, the rotor and winding system is less efficient and it would require the owner to move the watch back and forth for several minutes before it will start and hold enough energy to run for more than a couple of minutes. That's why on some brands the ability to wind up the watch manually has been retained."

Source:
http://www.selfdefensearmory.com/aboutautomatics.html

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what's the deal with that black on black easy reader? I still can't find it anywhere

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjnv
Are there pictures somewhere? Can't seem to find them....

yeah it isnt out yet but its about 700 or so

ProperHill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Just got a seiko skx007

Is it supposed to have a rattley sound when you shake it up a bit near the ear

Also how often should I be shaking up the watch to keep it running? (I am waiting for a strap to come in and its only the watch piece that I have now)

The rattling sound is the rotor spinning just wear the watch for a whole day to wind it...the watch winds by the movements of your wrist.Remember not to set the time from 9pm to 3am it'll mess up the watch.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProperHill
The rattling sound is the rotor spinning just wear the watch for a whole day to wind it...the watch winds by the movements of your wrist.Remember not to set the time from 9pm to 3am it'll mess up the watch.

What are you supposed to do if it dies in between those times?

kookydooky

Reaction score
SO how long is a Seiko 007 supposed to run for if not worn

Also I am pretty sure I read somewhere that these Seikos dont have a wind up feature

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProperHill
Remember not to set the DATE from 9pm to 3am it'll mess up the watch.
FTFY
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
What are you supposed to do if it dies in between those times?
Advance the time outside 9pm to 3am, then set the date. Then set the time. You can determine wheter the time is AM (midnight) or PM (noon) by manually advancing the time past 12:00. If the date rolls over to the next day, then the watch is in AM. If not, the watch is in PM.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Yeah, I don't think I know of any automatic watch that cannot be manually wound using the crown.
Seiko 5's and watches that use their movement (e.g. Seiko Monster dive watches) can not be wound through the crown. They wind by shaking/moving only. I use to own both a Seiko 5 and an Orange Monster.
Originally Posted by konoyaro
...That's why on some brands the ability to wind up the watch manually has been retained."
Source:
http://www.selfdefensearmory.com/aboutautomatics.html

Some? I would say that the vast majority of automatic watches can be manually wound through the crown as well as shaking/moving.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
I picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster on eBay for around $250. Endless eBay options in that price range if you are willing to go second hand.

how do you know it's real?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads