• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inception

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
They design the levels but the subconscious of the dreamer directs what is going on. Not that it matters, its a scenario, he could have written something else if he wanted. To have a dreamworld that is a 5 star hotel and that's about it is pure crap. It was ok to leave the mechanics imprecise, who cares. He just wasn't able to run with the idea of dreams in any interesting form.
i understand the complaints and all... but **** this summer i was dragged to see: the A team ******* twighlight movie (even though i didn't see the 1st two) grown ups so i'll take this movie and be happy that i could finally actually enjoy something this summer. i saw it on a IMAX screen so it really did make it a better experience. cristoper nolan just likes to do this kind of thing (the prestige/memento/even the dark night) where he'll make you think rather than just sit back and observe. after watching this i was pissed that Lost couldn't of just ended like that.

Station

Reaction score
I'll agree that the setpieces did seem rather arbitrary. Didn't get the reasoning behind the Goldeneye tundra dreamscape at all. Did I miss some explanation for that?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
It was really awesome. Still sinking in, but really just wow. There were plenty of problems but it was overwhelming enjoyable and mind-bending.

What problems are you specifically referring to?

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
A little disappointed that JG-L didn't have more of a character. He was just sort of window dressing.
frown.gif

Why is there a fascination w/ this guy? He's just that kid from the TV show about aliens

Originally Posted by dmbp
JG-L is an exceedingly handsome man in the movie. Not man crush status, but close.

facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by Fuuma
He just wasn't able to run with the idea of dreams in any interesting form.

I kind of agree, but I think he had to keep it reasonable given the average level of intelligence that a moviegoer has.

If this had been another "Memento," (Chris Nolan's last movie like this) you wouldn't have many ticket sales due to mass confusion. I think Nolan and his producer had this in mind. So it's not as if Nolan couldn't make it interesting, it's that he kept it somewhat tame yet intriguing enough to attract a wider audience.

Overall I liked the movie, but the only thing I thought was poor was the endless amount of shooting and chasing ... as that kept going on, I was just thinking "okay, okay ... enough of the shooting, get me to the next plot twist or story-turning-point... I get the whole idea of "oh **** we need to keep moving because they're after us""

Nolan could have made the chases more dramatic and clever rather than an endless train of henchmen firing endless amounts of bullets...

I will probably watch it again before looking at any internet spolier discussions regarding plot and ending. Because I think I get what was happening, but I want to confirm if I got it all right.

If others are feeling this same way, then Nolan succeeds on a massive scale... getting return viewership is the future of blockbusters imo

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Why is there a fascination w/ this guy? He's just that kid from the TV show about aliens
He's also at least DiCaprio's equal as far as actual "acting" goes when given the opportunity. I'm not sure why he's been doing big budget stuff where he's basically just been hanging out and collecting a paycheck (G.I. Joe? Maybe it sounded like a lot of fun... ), but he's done some really great work on stage, screen, and television. Manic, Mysterious Skin, Brick, (500) Days of Summer, The Lookout, Stop-Loss, check them out.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's also at least DiCaprio's equal as far as actual "acting" goes when given the opportunity. I'm not sure why he's been doing big budget stuff where he's basically just been hanging out and collecting a paycheck (G.I. Joe? Maybe it sounded like a lot of fun... ), but he's done some really great work on stage, screen, and television.

Manic, Mysterious Skin, Brick, (500) Days of Summer, The Lookout, Stop-Loss, check them out.

the best part about The Lookout is that it involved the whole premise of Memento (trauma inducing brain damage which affects memory), and 500 days of summer which uses the out of sequence story telling, both tricks of the Nolan Movie trade.

i guess the kid from 3rd rock from the sun really has grown up...

Riio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Station
Ellen Page is an architecture student, so she's not going to have them all whizzing around a pinball machine, naked, with blocks of edam for feet.
dude i would pay double to see that movie

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
the best part about The Lookout is that it involved the whole premise of Memento (trauma inducing brain damage which affects memory), and 500 days of summer which uses the out of sequence story telling, both tricks of the Nolan Movie trade.

i guess the kid from 3rd rock from the sun really has grown up...

people have seen the lookout? nice
blush.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Riio
blush.gif

Several times.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Riio
dude i would pay double to see that movie

blush.gif

my wife loves crime movies/mobster movies/serial killer movies/ ect... so whenever something looks interesting we rent it.

latest movie we watched: The Prophet. The french prison movie that was very good.

I think the best thing in the whole movie Inception were the zero gravity fight/escape/action scenes.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw it ( at least the first 35 minutes) today at the Edwards cinema here in Houston, Tx.

It was incomprehensible BS.

I saw the manager and got passes for any future movie since I felt I had wasted the admission price.

"Dinner with the Schmucks" opens on July 30th. That will be better.

BTW: I went with a female MD friend who is extremely smart ( obviously much smarter than I ). She thought it was silly pretentious crap too.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You both sound like a lot of fun.
smile.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You both sound like a lot of fun.
smile.gif

Thanks, we think so.

We both hated The Matrix movies which this crap reminded us of.

And we loved "The Sopranos". Maybe it's a generation thing.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else love how halfway through the movie, it turned into a level from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads