• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I get better at basketball?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright I watched the Better Basketball defense video and I learned a lot that isn't exactly intuitive (like pointing your opposite foot outward when sidestepping). Going to try and implement some of the most basic movements.

Thanks a lot 1969

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
@Matt.

Thank you for the gentle spanking, but from experience there are always more systematic ways to improve whatever you want to improve rather than just doing whatever the hell you feel like you should be doing.

Sure people think they know what they have to do to lose weight, but a lot of times it turns out that their time is wasted and would have been better spent if they had done some research before the started doing whatever they started doing. I remember watching a documentary on a dude who weight 400 some pounds and he basically just stopped eating. He's a lot thinner now, but now he has a ton a flabby skin that he needs surgery for. Or when you see a ton of people at the gym who turn vegetarian and run on a treadmill for a few days, quit then run again, feel guilty about the whole process and is not that much better off.

Doing research on the best process is huge a time and effort saver in the long run.

I personally think that it's a less of waste of time to see what other people have thought about on the subject before starting out. I'm sure there are many sports nutritionists and trainers that have already thought about this in the several decades of basketball playing and I think it's a good idea to see what that is.

I'm sorry if I offended you so much by posting this thread, but I'm that kind of du who reads the manual before he starts a game.

You're on styleforum. What do you think all the noobs are doing in MC if not researching what and how to buy for their first interview suit?

Thank you to everybody who gave good advice. I think I'm going to use the better basketball thingy and see how it goes.

-_-; Hope we win tonight

you need all that to tell you how to dribble with your left hand and do layups?

walk before you can run....there is not a lot of point in learning plays from a book if you can only use one hand and can't do the layup for the score....

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
you need all that to tell you how to dribble with your left hand and do layups?

walk before you can run....there is not a lot of point in learning plays from a book if you can only use one hand and can't do the layup for the score....

My left hand and layups are weak, but my game is weak in general. I'd like a way to systematically attack my weaknesses instead of just doing something willy nilly. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

I've been watching the better basketball videos and I think I realized I don't actually know how to play proper basketball. I tried some of the moves today (eg creeping on one foot for triple threat fake and then passing by) and people were generally too lazy to step to block me.

I'd like to get back to the fundamentals, but thanks for pointing out that I already know what part of my game is weaker.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
My left hand and layups are weak, but my game is weak in general. I'd like a way to systematically attack my weaknesses instead of just doing something willy nilly. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

I've been watching the better basketball videos and I think I realized I don't actually know how to play proper basketball. I tried some of the moves today (eg creeping on one foot for triple threat fake and then passing by) and people were generally too lazy to step to block me.

I'd like to get back to the fundamentals, but thanks for pointing out that I already know what part of my game is weaker.

Pretty sure being able to dribble with both hands and being able to finish layups is incredibly fundamental.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forget books and/or videos....
To get better, you need to play alot and play against better competition! It's really very easy. You will be in better shape playing every day and build up your stamina. Also, work on your weaknesses when you get a chance: left handed layoups, etc.
Playing 3 on 3 or 1 on 1 games will also develop your defense and 1 on 1 moves(full court games are often zone so defense is just really covering a "spot!")

You are welcome...

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
Sorry if this is stuff you already know, but I've played plenty of pick-up games with experienced players who just don't get this stuff. There are very few things you can do to make you better other than playing all the time with the purpose of improving. Here are things you can improve immediately so that when you are playing with others, you are a valuable asset to the team:

Play like Dennis Rodman. On offense, admit to yourself that you're terrible with the ball in your hands. If you're having trouble with layups, don't even try to score on offense. Your job should be figuring out how to affect the outcome of the game without attempting to score. Here are some pointers:

Move without the ball: When you play pick-up games, it's really annoying that people don't move without the ball. Everyone's in a man-to-man and nobody's cutting and it's irritating for people who play a lot of basketball. So when you are on offense, run to a corner. Let the guy guarding you catch up to you. Now run to the other corner. He won't know where your headed, so you'll always be a step ahead of him. Do this running with your hands out like you're calling for the ball. You're not the offensive juggernaut, so you won't get it probably, but you'll freak out the lazy pick-up game defense.

Set picks for the guy with the ball: you can be the worst player in the history of basketball and set picks to help the good player score all day. Pick-up game defenders are poor at making switches when it's appropriate. So good guy on your team has the ball. You run from your corner up to the guy with the ball and set a pick on the guy who's guarding him. One of two things will happen: your best player will get free of the fellow guarding him and will have a nice scoring advantage and can make something happen on offense. Or, they'll switch defenders so that he doesn't get a step on his man. So now you have another ideal scenario: the guy guarding you (probably not their best player if you are a weak offensive threat) will now be guarding your teams best player and their best athlete is probably guarding you.

Set picks for the guy without the ball: maybe a really good player doesn't have the ball. Run over to that fella and set a pick on the guy guarding him. Same benefits as before: he's either going to be wide open for a pass and easy bucket, or they have to switch defenders.

Box-Out: notice I didn't say rebound. You can try to rebound, of course, but the best thing you can do on offense is that when a shot goes up, put your butt on somebody and box him out so that he can't rebound. Either you or someone more athletic on your team will grab the board if everyone's boxing out. A pick-up team that has 5 players who actually box-out is a team I'll put money on because they are the team that's going to get second and third shots. So if you catch yourself watching someone's shot without boxing out, make a mental note that you won't be so lazy next time.

So that's a lot of words for simply: (1) make cuts without the ball; (2) set picks; (3) box-out.

That's how you become a better team asset instantly when you don't really have any offensive or defensive skills. None of that requires actual basketball skill or even any athletecism. And don't worry about plays. Once you learn the efficacy of setting picks, then you can move on to learning the pick and roll and maybe you can start getting some open looks of your own.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verno Inferno
Sorry if this is stuff you already know, but I've played plenty of pick-up games with experienced players who just don't get this stuff. There are very few things you can do to make you better other than playing all the time with the purpose of improving. Here are things you can improve immediately so that when you are playing with others, you are a valuable asset to the team:

Play like Dennis Rodman. On offense, admit to yourself that you're terrible with the ball in your hands. If you're having trouble with layups, don't even try to score on offense. Your job should be figuring out how to affect the outcome of the game without attempting to score. Here are some pointers:

Move without the ball: When you play pick-up games, it's really annoying that people don't move without the ball. Everyone's in a man-to-man and nobody's cutting and it's irritating for people who play a lot of basketball. So when you are on offense, run to a corner. Let the guy guarding you catch up to you. Now run to the other corner. He won't know where your headed, so you'll always be a step ahead of him. Do this running with your hands out like you're calling for the ball. You're not the offensive juggernaut, so you won't get it probably, but you'll freak out the lazy pick-up game defense.

Set picks for the guy with the ball: you can be the worst player in the history of basketball and set picks to help the good player score all day. Pick-up game defenders are poor at making switches when it's appropriate. So good guy on your team has the ball. You run from your corner up to the guy with the ball and set a pick on the guy who's guarding him. One of two things will happen: your best player will get free of the fellow guarding him and will have a nice scoring advantage and can make something happen on offense. Or, they'll switch defenders so that he doesn't get a step on his man. So now you have another ideal scenario: the guy guarding you (probably not their best player if you are a weak offensive threat) will now be guarding your teams best player and their best athlete is probably guarding you.

Set picks for the guy without the ball: maybe a really good player doesn't have the ball. Run over to that fella and set a pick on the guy guarding him. Same benefits as before: he's either going to be wide open for a pass and easy bucket, or they have to switch defenders.

Box-Out: notice I didn't say rebound. You can try to rebound, of course, but the best thing you can do on offense is that when a shot goes up, put your butt on somebody and box him out so that he can't rebound. Either you or someone more athletic on your team will grab the board if everyone's boxing out. A pick-up team that has 5 players who actually box-out is a team I'll put money on because they are the team that's going to get second and third shots. So if you catch yourself watching someone's shot without boxing out, make a mental note that you won't be so lazy next time.

So that's a lot of words for simply: (1) make cuts without the ball; (2) set picks; (3) box-out.

That's how you become a better team asset instantly when you don't really have any offensive or defensive skills. None of that requires actual basketball skill or even any athletecism. And don't worry about plays. Once you learn the efficacy of setting picks, then you can move on to learning the pick and roll and maybe you can start getting some open looks of your own.

This is some excellent advice. I'm glad I posted the thread. Thanks a lot.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Forget books and/or videos....
To get better, you need to play alot and play against better competition! It's really very easy. You will be in better shape playing every day and build up your stamina. Also, work on your weaknesses when you get a chance: left handed layoups, etc.
Playing 3 on 3 or 1 on 1 games will also develop your defense and 1 on 1 moves(full court games are often zone so defense is just really covering a "spot!")

You are welcome...

This also. I'm going to try and play more pickup games.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bBoy JEe
Pretty sure being able to dribble with both hands and being able to finish layups is incredibly fundamental.

I'm not saying it's not. I'm saying I'd like to improve everything including left hand dribbling and layups and I'm positive there are a lot of people out there who have thought of better ideas on how to improve left hand dribbling, layups, and all other aspects of the game. That's why I posted this thread and so far it's been pretty helpful.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do what Steve Nash did: dribble a tennis ball wherever you go.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
just play. Seriously, you don't use books to learn how to play ball, you just play. Play with people who are better than you, it will challenge you. But seriously, just go play.

fact

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Do what Steve Nash did: dribble a tennis ball wherever you go.

Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
just play. Seriously, you don't use books to learn how to play ball, you just play. Play with people who are better than you, it will challenge you. But seriously, just go play.

I will do all of teh above.

cozilla

Reaction score
I played basketball in college and worked out with Ganon Baker for years in high school and college. Just google his name you will find some videos of him on youtube.

Good Luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads