• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
You wanna discuss moderation policies, that's totally fine - it is why we have a thread called 'transparent moderation' - conduct it here all you like, or PM any of us and we will be more than willing to take it up either with you directly, or among ourselves and let you know, but when one of us says 'enough' - it means 'enough'.
Ok, if this is the appropriate place.
Originally Posted by m@T
you know, when I go to the trouble of a good natured 'that's enough' post...and then five people decide 'you know, it's not really enough, I have something more to say' - I get pissed. Very quickly. I would not recommend this for anyone...
EDIT: Matt was referring to his "enough" posting in the original thread, not characterizing Steve's posts as such.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Fair enough. It appears I'm the only one who can't get exactly what's so funny about it BENEATH the dubbing, so I'll admit that maybe I'm misinterpreting it/reading it wrong.
You're not the only one.

Originally Posted by edmorel
the constant belittling and ridiculing of those with religious beliefs etc etc.
There have been occasions of that, but nowhere near as much as your other examples.

Originally Posted by RJman
If there was no CE, maybe I would still have my e-BFF.
frown.gif

+1

Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree with gdl in that the CE gives interesting insight into people. I also agree with why in that it is often painful. Interestingly, my favorite people to read, and the ones for whom I have gained more respect by reading their posts are often those whose opinions are diametrically opposed to mine.
+1

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it me, or is GQGeek working overtime to be the next AF? I find myself getting more peeved at GQG's recent posts, and less so at AF's.

OR does this signal some sort of upheaval in the order of things? Should I see a doctor?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Is it me, or is GQGeek working overtime to be the next AF? I find myself getting more peeved at GQG's recent posts, and less so at AF's.

OR does this signal some sort of upheaval in the order of things? Should I see a doctor?

You getting peeved at anything is mindblowing.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

Obviously, you've just crossed over into the

rod.jpg

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
you know, when I go to the trouble of a good natured 'that's enough' post...and then five people decide 'you know, it's not really enough, I have something more to say' - I get pissed. Very quickly. I would not recommend this for anyone...

I have taken over that thread now - there I said it - you wanna play in there, play by my rules, or timeouts will follow, I don't care who you are.

You wanna discuss moderation policies, that's totally fine - it is why we have a thread called 'transparent moderation' - conduct it here all you like, or PM any of us and we will be more than willing to take it up either with you directly, or among ourselves and let you know, but when one of us says 'enough' - it means 'enough'.

Sorry, m@T.
blush.gif
I don't recall exactly what I posted, but intended to be joking around the "controversy" rather than joining in it. But I should have kept in mind that those distinctions are often less clear in execution than in conception, and I should have minded your 'enough is enough' rather than making your job more difficult than it needed to be. My bad.

Besides, Kwilk did it first.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Another +1. Even Vox is riding this train.

That's a great straight line (which is a joke unto itself), but this thread is too dignified to allow me to take advantage of it.

It's an endless struggle on which I've commented many times. Vox is very smart and isn't the problem. Nor is labelking. The problem is that the both of them have a very dry, dark wit and require a certain level of literacy that, quite frankly, many forum members don't have (whether because they aren't native speakers of English or just because they are dumb).

As such, many don't get the jokes but want to play along and end up ruining it, OR don't get the jokes and therefore think that the forum is expressing an attitude that it really doesn't have.... i.e. it's a place that is welcoming to homophobes.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we do not know we don't know."

"Irritating the stupid is a mild but pleasant sin, made sweeter when the stupid do not know that they are stupid."

I said one of the things above, but both are true and emanate from evil minds.

- B

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Besides, Kwilk did it first.
Hey, all I did was call Matt an idiot, which was the truth. I didn't even realize that I was in a thread where M@t had just issued a warning. When you post as much as I do, you can't keep track of what is actually going on in each thread you post in.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whose sock puppet is hws? I'm just curious. He seems to push the "foreigner bad at English funny" meme to unfunny reaches vaclav and ernest never dreamed of.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whose sock puppet is hws? I'm just curious. He seems to push the "foreigner bad at English funny" meme to unfunny reaches vaclav and ernest never dreamed of.

But on occasion he slips into almost perfect English.
The one time I called him on it, he claimed he had his nephew posting for him, as he was so inept at the language.
sarcasm.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Something about him...my money is Conne.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
No, but you have more of a right to Mod there than Steve.

Steve is "just another person" in CE. If he has a problem with someone there, he can take it up with a moderator.

A lot of people wonder why Steve makes threads/posts disappear at his whim, and I doubt most of them would feel comfortable about PMing him given this and how he might react to the criticism. As such, if you/j get fifteen PMs that you have to respond to personally, rather than just fifteen posts in this thread that you can address with ONE reply, it seems more open and easier for you mods (and everybody else) this way. Besides, I don't think anybody really wants any punitive measures or anything that serious... just that maybe Steve agree to give up CE moderating powers if he wants to be an active participant.

Just my two cents, FWIW. Being a mod is the least enviable, least enjoyable, most headache-worthy job in the world, I know.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize the original thread in question was back in CE. Okay, I'll shut up now.
wink.gif

OK- last time. The only thread I have squirreled recently is the **** bar thread. Because I thought it was in poor taste, j moved it back. No biggie.

Squirreled the other one because I thought I'd taken enough pummeling. Evidently not because when I moved it back, it started again.

I haven't made a post disappear in eons. At least a year.

I've timed someone out once and they deserved it.

I don't think I'm allowed freedom of speech in CE. Whether I have moderating privileges or not, when I say something controversial the first line of discussion is "but you're a moderator"! Everyone else gets to say pretty much what they want to say.

j has asked me to not post and moderate at the same time. As I said in the thread, I'd really rather not do either.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Perhaps, the issue is that, the success, and accolade, have in his head, lodged.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Something about him...my money is Conne.

Not seeing it. My vote is someone fluent in multiple languages, like Metro, Jinda, or perhaps Etienne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads