• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Do You Keep Your Shoes...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep my most used 5 pairs on the floor of my bedroom in shoe trees, all lined up neatly...
Everything else stays on my shelves of my furniture in my bedroom, and on top of the furniture, stacked up in boxes (reaching the ceiling, slowly running out of room)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my closet

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
In my closet

Go on, post the cool shoe shelves
smile.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium

Speaking of storage, is there any special treatment to give shoes if long unused?

I give my long unused shoes the special eBay treatment.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Go on, post the cool shoe shelves
smile.gif

If you insist

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missed you man (no ****) BTW, I'm going to Church's to get a box for my Soveriegns, I'll keep an eye out for you
wink.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Missed you man (no ****)

BTW, I'm going to Church's to get a box for my Soveriegns, I'll keep an eye out for you
wink.gif

I actually happen to be wearing a velvet-collared overcoat today.

glenjay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
A single shelf, only half full.

Speaking of storage, is there any special treatment to give shoes if long unused? I have a pair of dress shoes that I hardly wear yet have no intention of throwing out. Am I still required to apply some cream every week or two?

The best thing to do would be to clean them, condition them, polish them (paste then wax, or just paste), put shoe trees in them, stick them in a box and store them away. As long as the relative humidity is above 20% where the shoes are being stored they should be fine for an extended period of time (a year or so). Do not store shoes where the conditions are extreme: too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet.

The shoe trees are optional [for long storage], but I prefer to use them. The shoe trees can be the cheap plastic ones because you are just trying to retain shape, not wick moisture from a recently worn shoe.

Another handy thing to do is take a picture of each pair of shoes you will be storing and put the picture on the outside of the box. This makes it really easy for finding those white nubucs every summer (just a side note: don't polish the nubucs).

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glenjay

Another handy thing to do is take a picture of each pair of shoes you will be storing and put the picture on the outside of the box. This makes it really easy for finding those white nubucs every summer (just a side note: don't polish the nubucs).

The Puffy's baby momma for Kimora treatment? Nooooooooo

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glenjay
The best thing to do would be to clean them, condition them, polish them (paste then wax, or just paste), put shoe trees in them, stick them in a box and store them away. As long as the relative humidity is above 20% where the shoes are being stored they should be fine for an extended period of time (a year or so). Do not store shoes where the conditions are extreme: too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet.

The shoe trees are optional [for long storage], but I prefer to use them. The shoe trees can be the cheap plastic ones because you are just trying to retain shape, not wick moisture from a recently worn shoe.

Thanks! This is what I've been doing. I'll re-polish those old wingtips in about six months.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Right foot always in front? Interesting.....

1.1246922508.walk-like-an-egyptian.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads