• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a Boston tailor for a RLPL suit. Recommendations?

Bellison

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on tailors for my new RLPL suit? I could just go to the RL store in Boston and have them do it, but I am not sure if they are worth the price they charge. I heard Jack's is good as is Joe. Should I just go to the RL store?

Bellison

Reaction score
no comments? Does no one have any experience with the in-house tailors at the RL store in Boston?

MHH89

Reaction score
I know a great old Italian guy who is out in Waltham. PM me if you want his info.

pmowen

Reaction score
I've taken some stuff to Rizzo in Harvard Square. It's kind of expensive, and from what I can tell he sends his alterations out anyway. Drinkwater's on Mass Ave just past Porter Square takes outside alterations. That's who I'm trying next.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Go to Joe at Rizzo. Technically you're right -- he "sends his alterations out" but they go to the old men who have worked in his shop doing hand tailoring for decades. Now they just do them from home as they're quite old now.

Do NOT get the things tailored at the RL store in Boston. Their tailor "fitter" is awful and will request the wrong alterations.

I've had two suits made bespoke by joe, as well as an overcoat, and he's altered countless things for me. Worth the price and the wait. Joe at Rizzo is the best.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rizzo is great, I use him for most of my alterations. However, if I needed something done faster, I go to Jordan Tailor on Newbury St. Both are pretty pricey though, if you need to spend less money, I'd go to Frank's on Winter St.

-Q-

Reaction score
Dont use the RL store. I had an awful experience with the tailor there. Rizzo is the guy to see.

tpynchon

Reaction score
Joe at Rizzo's does send out for basic alterations but he is still better than Jack. This is based on having multiple alterations done by both of them. Also, it didn't seem to me that Jack was any cheaper. I just got a RLPL blazer back from Joe, and I am happy with his work.

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Rizzo is great, I use him for most of my alterations. However, if I needed something done faster, I go to Jordan Tailor on Newbury St. Both are pretty pricey though, if you need to spend less money, I'd go to Frank's on Winter St.

I heard Frank's bespoke suits aren't bad and are reasonably priced. Any truth to this?

jays978

Reaction score
Rich the Tailor on Bromfield Street in Downtown Crossing. He's expensive but worth it. (I paid $120 to get my suit done - suppression, closing vent - the whole nine yards)

But if you want to make the drive out to Lowell, George the Tailor on Broadway Street is quality service for a third of the price. I know, great tailor, in Lowell? I didn't believe it either. (I paid $48 for the same work done here)

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jays978
Rich the Tailor on Bromfield Street in Downtown Crossing. He's expensive but worth it. (I paid $120 to get my suit done - suppression, closing vent - the whole nine yards)

But if you want to make the drive out to Lowell, George the Tailor on Broadway Street is quality service for a third of the price. I know, great tailor, in Lowell? I didn't believe it either. (I paid $48 for the same work done here)

I'll be in Boston next week for business. Anyone know if these tailors in Boston or Lowell have a good supply of buttons? I'm looking for Brioni sleeve buttons for a sport coat and hoping a tailor might have some spares to sell for cheap.

NMW1982

Reaction score
The reviews on Yelp for Rizzo don't bode well for the quality and service of this tailor. Are you guys sure Joe at Rizzo is good?

Originally Posted by tpynchon
Joe at Rizzo's does send out for basic alterations but he is still better than Jack. This is based on having multiple alterations done by both of them. Also, it didn't seem to me that Jack was any cheaper. I just got a RLPL blazer back from Joe, and I am happy with his work.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
The reviews on Yelp for Rizzo don't bode well for the quality and service of this tailor. Are you guys sure Joe at Rizzo is good?

I can tell you that Joe at Rizzo has a loyal clientele and does fantastic work. In my experiences with him, he has shortened two of my jackets, moved patch pockets, suppress waists, fixed the collar, fixed shoulder seam issues, and slim trousers. I would conclude that the poor sentiments on yelp reflect the opinions of inexperienced and less-than-knowledgeable customers: he once told me that he received a poor rating on yelp/Citysearch because a woman wanted a turnaround time of 6 hours on a complicated dress alteration.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello fellow forumites,

I thought I would jump in here and introduce myself to those who don't know me or Drinkwater's. We are an updated traditional menswear store and we do take in outside alterations. Our tailor is the head tailor of Southwick Clothing who moonlights from his home. He is a master tailor and can perform any tailoring challenge. I do the fitting in the store. Should anyone have any alteration needs or concerns, do not hesitate to call me or stop in. Thanks.

Gary Drinkwater

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Hello fellow forumites,

I thought I would jump in here and introduce myself to those who don't know me or Drinkwater's. We are an updated traditional menswear store and we do take in outside alterations. Our tailor is the head tailor of Southwick Clothing who moonlights from his home. He is a master tailor and can perform any tailoring challenge. I do the fitting in the store. Should anyone have any alteration needs or concerns, do not hesitate to call me or stop in. Thanks.

Gary Drinkwater

Gary, does your tailor do working buttonholes on sleeves?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads