• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jacket -- difference in quality...

HAMGRAVY

Reaction score
im no expert in leather jackets, however there obviously is some diff in quality between these two jackets. One is burberry ($1300) the other schott ($500). I like both and can afford both, but why an $800 difference? Is it just the brand?

Cashmoney

Reaction score
I can't imagine buying a leather jacket made by Burberry. The interior lining is probably sporting that nasty check/plaid that burberry's logo.

God, what a junky brand.

(I know, I know, you don't need to remind me -- their trenchcoats are first-rate. I have two.)

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cashmoney
I can't imagine buying a leather jacket made by Burberry. The interior lining is probably sporting that nasty check/plaid that burberry's logo.

God, what a junky brand.

(I know, I know, you don't need to remind me -- their trenchcoats are first-rate. I have two.)

what the hell

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you guys think the only difference between leathers is a brand you're insane.

ccp>rick owens>fillipa k, j. lindeberg, etc

mpcec

Reaction score
I think they were just saying specifically between that schott jacket and that burberry one.

Also sup?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sup mpcec. anyway, schott quality is fine but it's not a designer "fit" in most cases

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a schott motorcycle jacket and you're riding a motorcycle, you'll probably want the schott over the burb. Just because it's a "leather" jacket doesn't mean it's fit for riding in.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the Burberry would fit slimmer.

Also kunk where would Julius fit on that scale?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i have seen julius of varying quality but all pretty good from what i've seen.

if you're baller, it doesn't much matter, but i will say that i am glad i passed on some more questionable designs in favor of 2 classic ro leathers. they will look great in 5 or 10 years still which i am not sure i can say for some of the quirkier rick or julius leathers.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
if you guys think the only difference between leathers is a brand you're insane. ccp>rick owens>fillipa k, j. lindeberg, etc
Yeah but don't be thinking of it so linearly, I'd wear a rick owens leather over a CCP any day of the week (less full on distressing, chunkiness, ro has better aesthetic imo). The burberry will probably be better quality, but this is one of the reasons I loathe the internet so much, you just cannot tell the difference in quality by a 200 x 360 pixel compressed JPEG of a photo on the net being filtered through the colour bias of your monitor. Even though you can get a good idea by knowing the brand, I think a sense of touch is almost necessary.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Burberry jacket, but we carry the Schott jacket in our store. The pictures don't do it justice - it's really beautiful in person.

That said, I can imagine that its totally different than the Burberry variant. The Schott jacket is done in thick glazed cowhide. It's not that expensive of a leather, but it's tough as hell. It's a true motorcycle leather. The jacket is stiff and meant to be broken in. It works great with raw jeans, and is definitely a casual piece. You can probably wear it for 20 years.

The Burberry jacket - I imagine - would be the typical Italian "fashion" leather jacket in a soft calfskin or lambskin. The leather is probably more expensive than what Schott uses. It's not necessarily higher quality - just a different quality. It's going to be soft and light, and might be worn with light jeans or dress trousers.

So the quality difference all depends what you're looking for. Chances are the Burberry jacket is a bit overpriced (given their advertising and PR budget), but it's probably a nice piece.

One thing that I can advise - don't buy a leather jacket from somewhere like H&M, Benetton, Old Navy, etc. Back in the days, I would always get sucked into their $150 leathers, and end up getting something that looked and aged like ****. If a jacket's going to be full price, something decent is going to be pretty much $300 and up. If you're on a budget, grab a quality vintage piece off Ebay instead.

cicero79

Reaction score
Great point, I was going to suggest to search on Ebay as well. You can't go wrong with a vintage Schott, Aero, or if you're lucky a Lewis Leather. They are often broken in and in great condition.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cicero79
Great point, I was going to suggest to search on Ebay as well. You can't go wrong with a vintage Schott, Aero, or if you're lucky a Lewis Leather. They are often broken in and in great condition.
Would you trust leather from ebay? I've seen more than one jacket that was left hanging in someone's closet a bit too long and start to go mouldy. Sometimes you can't see it, but you can usually smell it. Is it even possible to get something like that out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads