• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blogs and stores

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ry'on
Are they? They will post anything they are fed and have no opinion and no taste? Not only do they get heaps of details wrong, there is no consistency. Most of the time it looks like the saw a whole collection and picked the actual worst looking thing from it, just to be more out there and "fashion" as they say. ...
So I like them b/c they expose me to lots of things. I'm not familiar with fashion so I've found a lot of lines through them. It's exposure by volume, even though I don't like a majority of what they post. You guys are much more discriminating in your picks/taste and I really appreciate that. I pick up on details much more now b/c of your blog, and if I lived at a higher income bracket I'd tear through your store. Let's put it like this: in GReader, when I see Selectism I skim the photos for exposure. When I see h(y)r I see people who have distinct taste and solid reasoning for liking certain pieces. In other words, apples and oranges.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
My favorite blog is probably www.selectism.com.

Originally Posted by breakz
Absolutely agree, they're great.

Originally Posted by Ry'on
Are they?
They will post anything they are fed and have no opinion and no taste? Not only do they get heaps of details wrong, there is no consistency. Most of the time it looks like the saw a whole collection and picked the actual worst looking thing from it, just to be more out there and "fashion" as they say.

Clearly there are some less discerning posters around, but I think the consensus amongst the educated here would be that Selectism is targeting a very different audience and working to achieve a very different kind of reporting than what you are suggesting or what H(Y)R does. God forbid anyone like them or suggest that they're great.

This is actually incredible. I could've sworn you were the guy who runs H(Y)R...perhaps I am wrong, but it is baffling to me that the person in charge of a competing publication would write something like this at all, and of all places, on StyleForum, before such a large number of your potential readers. The premise behind your post is so absurd and childish I am embarrassed for you. Do you expect people to respect your publication when you write things like this openly in a public forum? Don't you care how you are perceived? Professionalism at it's finest.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't read selectism, but h(r) is too thick with misspellings and months-late style jargon for my tastes. But I can see why it succeeds.

It seems like all of these blogs cover the same thing. ACL, hyr, Selectism, Refinery, and every one of the store blogs - never before have there been so many viewpoints on the same exact subject. There aren't hundreds of unique designers that require so much coverage. The internet causes people to consume more in-depth coverage about oxford shirts than current affairs every day.

atuhsad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I don't read selectism, but h(r) is too thick with misspellings and months-late style jargon for my tastes. But I can see why it succeeds.

I agree. As much as i try to like hyr, it upsets me that they dont proofread anything. I am not saying i am the best writer speller or whatever, but i also dont try to make a living off of my writing either. Also, there is much more to fashion than americana, and at least selectism covers it.

I agree completey with ARW, it is somewhat lame to bash another blog especially when that blog links to your site.

http://www.selectism.com/news/?s=h(y)r

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://hapsical.blogspot.com/
Hapsical is one of my favorite blogs, even if the guy who runs it has the very weird habit of using the royal "we".
He's based in London,and takes pretty good pictures when he travels. Rather than sartorialist-style fashion snapshots he focuses on architecture, urban design, basically what he sees in the streets, in museums, and in the outdoors.
Posts are always pretty interesting, he does a lot of womenswear which basically sparked my interest in womenswear in general. I feel as though I learn something new every time I read it.
Hapsical is also obsessed with legos, which I love, and owns some pretty cool pieces, including the raf ss08 (or are they fw08?) runway prototype boots.

Ry'on

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry. I really didn't mean to bash anybody. I do have respect for what the folks at SL are doing and I don't have a problem with it. I guess sometimes their consistency just baffles me. If people enjoy it and find it useful, that's great. It's what the internet is all about.

I will add that I don't make a living from h(y)r, but I do apologize for the unprofessional comments.

Apples and oranges I suppose, and I probably shouldn't have said anything from the start. I hope people take whatever they like from any blogs as in the end, it is just to share personal interests and ideas.

That said, to contribute to the thread - I think Secret Forts and JJJJound are great for image reference and ideas that you can use in your own style.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Gravitypope.com I can't believe that they aren't an affiliate.
Agreed. Their blog URL is http://gravitypopetailoredgoods.blogspot.com/
Originally Posted by nonissue
**** me, there's a gravity pope where I live but it's shoes only. I can't wait for them to open up a clothing store here. They always have such great buys in everything. It will improve the shopping here a million times over. I'll be in edmonton next weekend, hopefully I get a chance to hit up the one there.
Gravity Pope's buyers have been doing a great job these past couple years. Honestly one of the best stores around. So glad they have a location in Edmonton.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gravitypope is awesome.

They have fantastic buys and they have a good pricepoint model. The selection is great, the customer service is great.

I would not be suprised if Mauro's canadian clone ran it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads