• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relative Newbie looking for advice re:Slim-Fitted Suits

ski74

Reaction score
Hi Folks! I'm a 23 year old working out of Boston and was hoping to get some advice from the knowledgeable people here. First, let me preface with some information about me. I'm very slim. As in 5'11" 145 lbs slim. My family is made up of Greeks on one side and Cubans on the other, and as a result I have very "European" features. I've been told that a slim-fitted suit would be a great compliment to my build and features. I don't make an exorbitant amount of money, nor do I regularly frequent social circles where a very nice suit is not overkill. That being said, I do enjoy looking nice and dressing nice as often as possible. I currently have two suits that I use for business, one wool charcoal and one wool black. They are both traditional, off the rack, and tailored. They are also rather heavy and keep me warm in the Boston winters. What I'm (potentially) looking for is a lighter, more modern, slim suit that I can wear on a nice evening out with the lady or to a business meeting with friends and clients. It can lean more towards the fashion side than the business side, as I have others I can wear for that. From the light reading and research I've done, it seems there are four options: 1. Pick up something from last year at an outlet for a lower price off the rack, have it tailored. (I live near these: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...ting.asp?id=10) 2. Pick up something newer off the rack at a department store (Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc) or a manufacturer store (Banana, Hugo Boss) for a medium price, have it tailored. (live near: http://www.natickcollection.com/mallmap.asp?mallid=858) 3. Have a suit made to order at one of the many places in Boston for a higher price. (Ari Boston, etc). 4. Have an MTM suit made from Thick as Thieves (I've heard them mentioned quite a bit around here, all positive things) Now as I said, I don't make a large amount of money and I am not in a position where I am wearing a suit every day (or every week, for that matter [though I'd like to be]). I can spend anywhere from 100 to 1200, but what matters most to me is value for the dollar. If I can get a well-made off the rack suit for 500 that is 90% as good as a 1200 dollar MTM, I would prefer the cheaper version. What kind of experiences have some of you others had when faced with a situation like this? What would you stay away from and what things have you learned? Thanks!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the responses. I am in the same situation - don't go to events that require suits, work in very casual office but do like to dress well. Have to be careful not to "overdress", which I have been called a few times. I live in Atlanta, not your satorial capital.

ski74

Reaction score
85 views and 1 reply? Surely someone has some input for this
tongue.gif

mdavie

Reaction score
How soon are you looking to buy your new suit? I am the owner of James VII (stating so people don't think I'm false spamming). Our partners just opened their boutique just north of Boston in North Billerica. My brand is James VII (www.jamesvii.com) and currently am selling shirts via this location. It is a new concept store where you go in and get bodyscanned then you go online and we make the custom clothing based on those measurements. I know another partner will be launching their suits soon as well I will have my new suit line coming out in the fall. I am looking to target the $600 price point (to match my shirt price point of $89-$159). So if you aren't in a rush to buy this week, there will be a new option for those wanting MTM for suits in Boston. For the shirts we are all good to go. Here is the link for stores http://www.uniquescan.com ------------------------------------------------ www.jamesvii.com

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Before jumping into MTM, go to your local departments stores and try on some suits you like. See what fits really well (primarily in the shoulders and chest, everything else is relatively easy to alter). See how much it costs. Search here to find out the quality of the construction for those brands you like. Then figure out whether you think it's value for your dollar or not.

That said, though, given your proportions and amount you're willing to pay, I'd go with #4, as long as you think you can get the measurements right. I'm not sure how much you'd pay for MTM in Boston, but TaT are a great value for the dollar. But that's just what I'd do, being in a similar situation myself. If you want to wear it to work or with clients, get the conservative cut. Depending on who you work with, you might want to try to find something a little more conservative than that even, but I can't say. At least for myself, if I'm looking at spending $600+ for a suit, I'll generally start looking at MTM options.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ski74
Hi Folks!

What I'm (potentially) looking for is a lighter, more modern, slim suit that I can wear on a nice evening out with the lady or to a business meeting with friends and clients. It can lean more towards the fashion side than the business side, as I have others I can wear for that.

From the light reading and research I've done, it seems there are four options:
1. Pick up something from last year at an outlet for a lower price off the rack, have it tailored. (I live near these: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...ting.asp?id=10)
2. Pick up something newer off the rack at a department store (Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc) or a manufacturer store (Banana, Hugo Boss) for a medium price, have it tailored. (live near: http://www.natickcollection.com/mallmap.asp?mallid=858)
3. Have a suit made to order at one of the many places in Boston for a higher price. (Ari Boston, etc).
4. Have an MTM suit made from Thick as Thieves (I've heard them mentioned quite a bit around here, all positive things)

Now as I said, I don't make a large amount of money and I am not in a position where I am wearing a suit every day (or every week, for that matter [though I'd like to be]). I can spend anywhere from 100 to 1200, but what matters most to me is value for the dollar. If I can get a well-made off the rack suit for 500 that is 90% as good as a 1200 dollar MTM, I would prefer the cheaper version.

Thanks!

Given that you don't want to spend too much and don't use the suit too often anyway, may I suggest doing a search for Wizard of Aahs on ebay. His canvassed M. Valentino suits are excellent value for money and with a touch of tailoring, can look the equivalent of a $1000 suit. He has a devoted following on SF and AAAC and his feedback rating on ebay is proof positive of an trustworthy vendor.

Save the money and spend it on nice shoes/shirts/ties instead.

ski74

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
Before jumping into MTM, go to your local departments stores and try on some suits you like. See what fits really well (primarily in the shoulders and chest, everything else is relatively easy to alter). See how much it costs. Search here to find out the quality of the construction for those brands you like. Then figure out whether you think it's value for your dollar or not.

That said, though, given your proportions and amount you're willing to pay, I'd go with #4, as long as you think you can get the measurements right. I'm not sure how much you'd pay for MTM in Boston, but TaT are a great value for the dollar. But that's just what I'd do, being in a similar situation myself. If you want to wear it to work or with clients, get the conservative cut. Depending on who you work with, you might want to try to find something a little more conservative than that even, but I can't say. At least for myself, if I'm looking at spending $600+ for a suit, I'll generally start looking at MTM options.

Thanks for the tips!

Since I'm still new to this arena, I don't exactly know what kind of fabrics and fit I like. Your idea of going into a department store and trying things on, feeling the fabrics, checking the fits seems like a good one. The local mall to me has all the regulars, Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, Hugo Boss, as well as the department stores. I'm going to head over there and try on a bunch of things to see what I like, then come back here and do what you suggested about researching them.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Since I'm still new to this arena, I don't exactly know what kind of fabrics and fit I like. Your idea of going into a department store and trying things on, feeling the fabrics, checking the fits seems like a good one. The local mall to me has all the regulars, Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, Hugo Boss, as well as the department stores. I'm going to head over there and try on a bunch of things to see what I like, then come back here and do what you suggested about researching them.
I believe BB is having a sale now, if you can find your size in some of their slimmer suits like the Fitzgerald. Wetnose's suggestion is also a good one. Once you have an idea what you like and what fits, Wizard of Aahs and Yoox would be good for nice deals as well.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I'm a 23 year old working out of Boston and was hoping to get some advice from the knowledgeable people here.

What I'm (potentially) looking for is a lighter, more modern, slim suit that I can wear on a nice evening out with the lady or to a business meeting with friends and clients. It can lean more towards the fashion side than the business side, as I have others I can wear for that.

Then think of jackets to. You can pick jackets that can be fairly causal to fairly dressy.

It doesn't sound like you really need suits. If you spend all your money on one good suit you'll end up being the guy with one good suit. With a jacket you change the pants and it's at least a little different.

acconrad

Reaction score
I'm also a 23 yr old working out of Boston...in fact I start work on Monday, so we should meet up.

But our dress is casual, so my suits are for special occassions, so I guess I don't have to be conservative.

But I'm disappointed you mentioned BR and Boss...you're in Boston, there's a damned Ermenegildo Zegna and Louis on Newbury St...you could pick up an Isaia suit if you felt so inclined! At least try on those more expensive suits so you can get a feel for what you like...and plus, Louis' is having a 50% off sale, which is insanely good. So give it a shot and lemme know how it goes.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
5'11 145, maybe try Ralph Lauren Black Label? They're on deep sale right now ($500~$600)

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
5'11 145, maybe try Ralph Lauren Black Label? They're on deep sale right now ($500~$600)

Good luck finding the right size and color on a RLBL. I can't imagine anything more picked through than RLBL right now, especially since the big sale started about three weeks ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads