• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Groupthink or Connoisseurs' Consensus?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy

I think if you were to show the average person a properly-fitted suit that conforms to the SF consensus ideals next to a fused, mass-market RTW that may or may not fit properly, I'm pretty confident that the vast majority would pick the SF example as being more pleasing. That person would probably have a hard time expressing why, though.

I think the Kennedy - Nixon debate was a good example of this. People who listened to it on radio felt Nixon won. But he has lost 20 lbs to sickness, his shirt didn't fit, and majority of the 70 million who watched it on TV felt Kennedy won the debate. Clearly the fit and appearance of the clothes tapped into a mass, cultural acceptance or "mainstream."

I'm not sure if these photos are from the debate in question, or another debate. They are illustrative though.

JFK%20Nixon%206.jpg

180px_jfknixon.jpg

Note sleeve length, fit, etc. Not to mention 3 btn vs. 2
fight[1].gif

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there room for a moderate view?

Groupthink exists to a degree on SF. Seventy % of members may love knit ties and 70 % may hate black suits, but they won't be the same 70 %.

Also, SF brings to its collective scrutiny some lesser well known brands of objectively higher quality and value than better known and more widely available brands. Anyone lurking here for an hour or two will be convinced Crockett and Jones make better shoes than Kenneth Cole. Would that lurker be subscribing to groupthink or simply be made aware of a self evident objective truth?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Can the snarky jerks whose IQs exceed 80 (you know who you are) please try to say something substantive?

Thank you, I'm really proud of my 88 score so I'll try to show my educamation by contributing to this thread when I have a minute.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to admit, the knit tie thing started to wear even me out. Stay off my lawn!

I think the groupthink is most visible when it happens en masse. There's a difference in incorporating something from SF into your wardrobe and everyone adopting a new uniform. Admittedly, with the knit ties, the latter might have just seemed the case.

Overall, I'm very impressed with how styles can co-exist here. I think we've gotten more diverse, for the most part, not less.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I have to admit, the knit tie thing started to wear even me out. Stay off my lawn!

I think the groupthink is most visible when it happens en masse. There's a difference in incorporating something from SF into your wardrobe and everyone adopting a new uniform. Admittedly, with the knit ties, the latter might have just seemed the case.

Overall, I'm very impressed with how styles can co-exist here. I think we've gotten more diverse, for the most part, not less.

I agree.

I must say that the knit tie lovefest here didn't increase my desire to get one a bit. Nor did the button-boot brouhaha, the stroller craze, the Rubinacci reacharound or the Matuozzo mania. I admit the Blazersuit is growing on me, although I'm not a patch pocket fran.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
I agree.

I must say that the knit tie lovefest here didn't increase my desire to get one a bit. Nor did the button-boot brouhaha, the stroller craze, the Rubinacci reacharound or the Matuozzo mania. I admit the Blazersuit is growing on me, although I'm not a patch pocket fran.

If you get one, I'll get one, too.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have not seen your phoque yet.

Is it very phoquey?

It is in Cool Shoes et al.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bemused by one aspect of groupthink seen in any "community" but, perhaps, especially online communities: that is, when people believe or claim to believe or support the
popular" opinion because they want to be "in" as much as they actually believe or understand the topic at hand.

Take, for example:

black pants/suits
name your shoe brand
"bespoke"

For each of the true fans who have first hand knowledge or educated appreciation of any of the above topics, there are those who pile on so that they can "belong" or feel that they are part of the "in crowd".

For example, let's say Manton is actually the only person here to have owned or have had deep experience with 15oz Shetland wool. Then in a thread you will see 10 others vociferously supporting his sentiments even though they may have no real knowledge of the fabric. Now- that is not to say you should not trust and value an obviously learned-person's opinion, but for those who do so merely to fit in... well.

Know what I mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads