• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still want to see Norcal's bag! I find something new and cool about living in SF each day when it comes to outfitting the gentleman.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I still want to see Norcal's bag! I find something new and cool about living in SF each day when it comes to outfitting the gentleman.

it's a light cognac in color

the antiquing is also not showing up well in this photo so I'll try again (it's stunning in person and very Berluti-esque)

(please note: my bag is a custom color, and this is not the Walnut color in the catalog - that one is more like a reddish Chestnut)

IMG_0803_2-1.jpg

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1

the antiquing is also not showing up well in this photo so I'll try again (it's stunning in person, trust me)

IMG_0803_2-1.jpg

I just visited Myron, Kari, and Eli at Glaser Designs this evening with a couple of friends. It was a bit of a field trip, and we were shown around the shop/factory, and got a behind the scenes look at the bag making process. From preparation to cutting to finishing. It was a fantastic experience, and I ended up placing an order for an espresso colored calfskin briefcase.

Anyone who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area must to visit the shop to see the extremely detailed and hardworking craftsmanship.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rilian
I just visited Myron, Kari, and Eli at Glaser Designs this evening with a couple of friends. It was a bit of a field trip, and we were shown around the shop/factory, and got a behind the scenes look at the bag making process. From preparation to cutting to finishing. It was a fantastic experience, and I ended up placing an order for an espresso colored calfskin briefcase.

Anyone who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area must to visit the shop to see the extremely detailed and hardworking craftsmanship.

I love the design of these, but hate buying leather products blind.

Anyplace in NYC where I can see one of these?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NorCal, can that bag be carried on a plane? Is it too big or does the fact that it has a zipper change anything? It would certainly be more usable if that were the case.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NorCal, can that bag be carried on a plane? Is it too big or does the fact that it has a zipper change anything? It would certainly be more usable if that were the case.

sure it can, I do it all the time, but don't believe me, believe one of the best travel writers in the country who travels thousands of miles a year with his two Glaser bags -- click here for the story

mine is the 6" deal bag which means it's 6 inches wide but Myron makes a 5" which is smaller and shorter and easier to travel with

if you click the link you can see that it's more narrow and not as long as mine

for the avg person, the 5" is just perfect (I wanted the larger size to hold notebook computers with larger screens that are coming in the future)

PeterEliot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1

the antiquing is also not showing up well in this photo so I'll try again (it's stunning in person and very Berluti-esque)

(please note: my bag is a custom color, and this is not the Walnut color in the catalog - that one is more like a reddish Chestnut)

IMG_0803_2-1.jpg

The regular walnut pieces don't have such a smooth finish as this one's, do they?

I really like the look of this bag. Looking forward to more photos.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterEliot
The regular walnut pieces don't have such a smooth finish as this one's, do they?

I really like the look of this bag. Looking forward to more photos.

no, they usually don't (he hand creases the leather to give a pebbled grain effect like this one), but he can leave it smooth like my bag if you order it that way

PeterEliot

Reaction score
How wonderful handcrafted goods are. Just about everything can be adjusted and modified.

Is it your opinion that a walnut piece will look pretty good with a smooth finish?

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How wonderful handcrafted goods are. Just about everything can be adjusted and modified.

Is it your opinion that a walnut piece will look pretty good with a smooth finish?

I actually like the Walnut with the pebbled finish ALOT personally after having seen it up close many times

Myron can send you a sample of both so you can decide and he can make it either way you prefer

and PeterEliot, make sure to read this if you want another opinion of how well made these bags are

rilian

Reaction score

Also, if you get the calfskin, it will be hand-grained with a texture. Plus, it can be dyed! I saw an amazing bag in a medium-dark green calfskin. The flaptop I ordered will be in espresso brown. They had a messenger bag in the same leather, and I fell in love.

Myron and Kari will even customize the length of the shoulder strap for you to fit your height.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nor cal, I know you said you were going to post more pics soon, I was just wondering though, if these ones you just posted were tweaked a bit? The shadows are all blued out, and I was just wondering how much that affected the color. I remember you said it had darkened considerably since it was sitting in the sun, from when you bought it.

Thanks.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nor cal, I know you said you were going to post more pics soon, I was just wondering though, if these ones you just posted were tweaked a bit? The shadows are all blued out, and I was just wondering how much that affected the color. I remember you said it had darkened considerably since it was sitting in the sun, from when you bought it.

Thanks.

that photo was taken at dusk so the color was more orange than it really is, so I adjusted the color in Photoshop to take away the orange glow that the sun was causing

I exposed it to the sun for a few days after it started turning darker and the sun bleached it and turned it that cognac color

that picture is how it looks to the eye (only a bit lighter in real life)

I'll take some in direct sun

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads