• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Often Do You Speak To Strangers

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I wonder because of a conversation I had on the T the other day - I was trying to give directions to someone as I walked on to the car, and someone behind me pointed out that I had the wrong street name. I thought it was unusual that she was both listening in AND helpful, so I struck up a conversation with her, and it turned out that she went to my school a few years ago.

Another time, I got to talking with a Boston Irish guy who had just got a letter from his brother in prison - there was some weird coincidence, but I don't remember what it was. I wrote it down. The whole thing was a little unnerving, but interesting.

I try to make a point of talking to people who might interest me - although I won't just launch into a conversation without provocation, I will start conversations if someone asks me directions, thanks me for a favor like picking up something they dropped, or other similar things. When I'm abroad, I try to talk to lots of people, either to practice the language or just learn more.

I think, in general, people around here are pretty solitary and walled-in, with a few exceptions. Working class Boston Irish, some elderly people and some black people tend to be extra-friendly. And, of course, the drunk, crazy and high.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My family and I were getting off of a cruise ship in Miami a couple of years ago. There was a lady behind me, about my age with a couple of pre-teen kids. I hadn't seen them on the ship during the week (it was a big ship). Her husband was seated a couple of rows in front of me.

I overheard her talking about Oklahoma, so I asked if that's where she was from and told her that I had been born and grown up there. To make a long story short, they were from a town I had lived in and her husband and I realized that we had been friends in junior high school.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being somewhat shy, I hardly ever talk to strangers.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardly ever, unless I need directions. I do think I'm friendly, but people tell me that I look intimidating. Which means that I am a stranger strangers are probably less likely to talk to.

Mr T

Reaction score
I discourage contact with others by ignoring them if possible and by violence if necessary.

The exception is for...well you know.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've made it a habit to talk-up people everywhere I go. You end up getting to know many more people this way, which is nice and can be helpful in some situations. It's also helpful when you tend to travel a lot. And I like to show people that many stereotypes aren't true.

scfdefinit

Reaction score
Occasionally. I'm a rather shy person, at most times I don't feel the need to start talking with stangers. If I am around a lot of stangers for an extended period of time, I'll start asking questions or start random conversations. For example, if I'm in a long line or at a party. Theres also times where stangers approach me of course. But, for the most part I keep to myself.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
I live in Korea...everyone here is strange.

I generally only talk to strangers if we're someplace a little unique, or if something interesting has happened and I want to share my opinions/comments/sexual desires with them.

I also do a lot of talking to strangers because my buddies don't speak any Korean, and want me to find out the prices of certain things, or directions, or if a girl is single. I enjoy it. I'm usually shy when it comes to approaching people for my own needs, but I'm quite happy to approach people for another person.

Recently I've been getting stopped by more and more people who just come up and start trying to practice their English with me. If I'm not in a hurry, then I'll stop and chat, otherwise I'll try to only speak Korean to them and see how much it pisses them off.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have mini anxiety attacks when I am forced to sit next to strangers in close quarters. I immediately wonder if they're wearing garbage Wal Mart clothing and if they've bathed in the past few days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads