• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Denim Related Comments ever

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
From somewhere else on the internerd....

Welp, jeans are associated with minorities, drug addicts, slobs, every alternative movement since the 70s, and cowboys, and I feel that, for a person of refinement (and here I am speaking of refinement of more than clothing,) jeans are not even considered. I feel that, for the thinking man, who looks back in history and understands the origin of blue jeans, there will be no other conclusion but to forgo them. I just thank God that dress pants are not nearly as stigmatized as dress jackets are in today's world; wearing a pair of dress pants now draws on average no more attention than, I suspect, wearing a pair of jeans does. And there are other options, too, like chinos, corduroy, etc. I just do not understand how someone who on any level resents what jeans symbolize can at the same time mindlessly slip on a pair, knowing at the same time that they can be completely displaced by other types of pants, which do not have the tainted antecedents of cowboys and frontiersmen (who were usually lower-class, poor, and possibly in exile,) that blue jeans do.

My grandfather did not own any jeans, and he did more than garden, being more or less the man of his sizeable, partially wooded lot. He wore loafers, a golf shirt, and khakis. My great grandfather wore suits when he gardened. Why do you wear jeans when you garden, but not when you go out? Can you not afford nice clothes to appear in at all times? When I spoke of refinement, I was speaking of education among other things. Someone well educated in history would know that appearance was always cared for, regardless of the occasion. It is only a modern phenomenon that a wealthy person would wear jeans anywhere, even when working in the yard. I realize that this is widespread; however, my original post did say 'I do not understand why...'

Again, there is, for those who care, no stigma regarding the wearing of pants other than jeans, of which there are many types. That means, to realize this and still wear jeans, there is one of three things at work: 1) The person is not educated, 2) the person recently realized their error and cannot afford to replace their jeans, or 3) the person willfully buys into the hard-working, egalitarian image of jeans. But there is a sense in which a person loses a part of his identity if he completely ignores his past; and the past of the anglo-saxon is, though we did things that were wrong, one of wealth and superiority. A black man does not ignore his cultural history (and some wonder why black males are seen as more confident and sure of themselves than white males,) but the timid, modern white man walks around in jeans, oblivious of his cultural history and entitlement. That is what I do not understand.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this come from AAAC?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaac????

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I've found that every good racist screed starts off with "welp".

tljenkin

Reaction score
I sort of agree with him, but have an opposite reaction.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Why do you wear jeans when you garden, but not when you go out? Can you not afford nice clothes to appear in at all times?"

This bit is pretty awesome too. Nouveau Rich much?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I'm fond of: "My grandfather did not own any jeans, and he did more than garden, being more or less the man of his sizeable, partially wooded lot."

"Sizeable, partially wooded lot" is just a generally amusing construction, and you get a sense that there's a whole story behind how he was "more or less" the "man" of the place.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
"Sizeable, partially wooded lot" is just a generally amusing construction, and you get a sense that there's a whole story behind how he was "more or less" the "man" of the place.
Yeah, it makes it sound like the Poster is dressing up the fact that his grandmother used to permit the garndfather to plant begonias under the tree by the driveway. Sometimes.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
In general, I've found that every good racist screed starts off with "welp".

crackup[1].gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Someone who took the time to psychoanalyse this text would have a field day, there's a lot of barely hidden feelings of inadequacy in there, his (unmentionned) mother must have been quite the harpy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Someone who took the time to psychoanalyse this text would have a field day, there's a lot of barely hidden feelings of inadequacy in there, his (unmentionned) mother must have been quite the harpy.

Neither is his father mentioned.

What I wonder is how this author, being aware of his superiority as a white male, chooses to use the internet as a means to vent his feelings. Doesn't he know that the internet is FREE in libraries (being used by poor people in exile)? I'm personally flabbergasted that my white, superior brethren would stoop so low as to put his image as God on the line by using a tool which is tainted by a history of sexual immorality and alternative thinking.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Hey, you don't even know my mom. Seriously though, I wrote that. I am so full of self-Haggard. I'm not even properly white
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ziopioyer