• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best untanned belts

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no i understand thats how it is, i basically answered my own question so nm...
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i think mike had really good advice above. i would follow his suggestions.

personally, i prefer the stitching like in my ks, but i can see how some belts need something a little stronger and therefore use thick ass mean screws, like the samurai belts.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to stitches, some do it right and some do it wrong. All belts a la sugarcane belt style are wrong.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
When it comes to stitches, some do it right and some do it wrong. All belts a la sugarcane belt style are wrong.
yeah man that makes no sense. can you provide an example of what is right and wrong? im not giving you a hard time im just trying to figure out what your talking about. is it because sugarcane uses horizontal stitching and does not go all the way around?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
interesting. i dont have a sugarcane belt and therefore cannot say the way they stitch the belt is wrong, but i see what your saying now.

i do love the buckle in the last picture though...

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why is one way right and the other way wrong? Not trying to be snide here, just want to know the advantages and disadvantages of different stitching styles on belts.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If stitched vertically some strength is sacrificed, like the pre-punched "tear here" packages. The extra thick leather compensates this and belts are not usually subjected to high tension so it's probably nitpicking on my part. Heck they're expensive, so why not do it right?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If stitched vertically some strength is sacrificed, like the pre-punched "tear here" packages. The extra thick leather compensates this and belts are not usually subjected to high tension so it's probably nitpicking on my part. Heck they're expensive, so why not do it right?

Good to know. All of my stitched belts are stitched the wrong way then. If any of them break, I'll go out of my way to find some that are stitched the right way in the future.

mikecch

Reaction score
Hey, isn't the second picture my Terry's belt :p

The design in the first pic is a very good one too - used by some of the most experienced belt makers in Japan and Taiwan. My faith x Ken type II industrial belt has the same stitching, done with uber thick threads and then subsequently reinforced with punch-through, break-off copper riveting:

DSC03850.jpg

Or, a design like the one on my custom Unlucky's will last forever too:
dsc04503c.jpg

dsc04497f.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
those are great.

yeah, im not convinced the way sugarcane stitched their belts is "wrong." in fact, given the company i would indeed argue they are doing it "RIGHT." but maybe thats just me. but its good to see other companies using similar types of stitching.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
Good to know. All of my stitched belts are stitched the wrong way then. If any of them break, I'll go out of my way to find some that are stitched the right way in the future.
i suspect they are not stitched the "wrong" way, and i totally get you were being sarcastic in this post! i thought that guy (entrero) had all of those belts and was therefore providing us some level of empirical knowledge. but it looks like he was just posting pictures of other belts and making a statement...
plain.gif
that kmw belt is one i have always wanted, but was always turned off by the price. after seeing some of mikes belts and reading some of his posts i agree with him that many of us are better off buying directly from the people who makes these belts, viz., terry dear, scott (unlucky), etc.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unlucky seems to sit very close and doesnt have the problems that the tanner belt does with being very large.

mikecch

Reaction score
^ Just spend some time looking at various buckle fold designs from different belt makers, you'll find something to suit your needs - I think hand-stitching or leather cross-lace locking will be perfect for you if you don't want the fold to be too thick.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
that kmw belt is one i have always wanted, but was always turned off by the price. after seeing some of mikes belts and reading some of his posts i agree with him that many of us are better off buying directly from the people who makes these belts, viz., terry dear, scott (unlucky), etc.

Totally mate...buying from these guys not only nets you a great product at a great price, but also invaluable knowledge through conversing with them.

Not that there's anything wrong with Sugar Cane belts, Pherrow's belts, or whatever......but I reckon anyone into the denim/natural leather hobby should give 'custom-made' a go at least once - it's not for everybody, and much more work on the buyers behalf, but at least for me the results are worth it
smile.gif

Some of the dudes who make belts for the various Japanese brands also run their own little operations and do house-brands for various denim shops - these are worth tracking down too
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member