• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think NYC is missing ?

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
How the heck can NYC be missing good Mexican food???

There is a lot of mediocre mexican food in Manhattan. Haven't ventured to the other boroughs yet, so I should have put a disclaimer. I am ashamed to say this, but I had better Mexican food in Raleigh then what I have had here in NYC so far.

spudnik99

Reaction score
Most regional Mexican food in NYC is from the state of Puebla (e.g. chalupas and mole), south of Mexico City. It's pretty good in the boroughs.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parks. The idea of one gigantic Central Park and a handful of miniscule ones is pretty damn dumb, however cool Central Park may be.

Getaways (what chorse123 said)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Parks. The idea of one gigantic Central Park and a handful of miniscule ones is pretty damn dumb, however cool Central Park may be.
It's especially nice for those who have windows (above the tree line) facing it. But that is not I.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Good" & 'mexican food". Does not compute for me.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
NYC, like most places, is missing most things. That's a sorta pointless question...

Taking the macro approach, obviously you're right. But, as others have pointed out, looking at the question and responding with specifics, was the point of the question.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Parks.

Getaways (what chorse123 said)

+1 on the parks. I know further out east in Queens, there much more options.

It may be relative, but we are a few hours away from update NY, Vermont, PA, etc.. I can understand though, a few hours away can be inconvenient. I've heard about a zip-line deal in upstate NY, but just haven't gone...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
Taking the macro approach, obviously you're right. But, as others have pointed out, looking at the question and responding with specifics, was the point of the question.
Cities get their character from "synergies" (yuck) not individual lists, NYC is interesting because of overarching characteristics not because of a checklist. On the other hand you can buy/do a lot of the same **** than in London and lists would support that but I still see both places as fundamentally different. People hardly take advantage of even 5% of the opportunities afforded them them in a mid-sized town so it does not matter much. The overall feel is still so different that it's how you "rationally" select a city. I mean go to a large, say, Indian city and you'll realize it's a whole other world and you're missing out the total experience afforded there (just like they're missing out on NYC or even Wichita).

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Vastly better metropolitan transportation would be nice -- direct trains to airports, additional bridges, tunnels, etc. While we're at it, upgrades to the airports are needed. In the past year I have been to Hong Kong and Paris, and New York (and indeed the US) is dramatically behind the rest of the world on this score.

On intra-city transit, New York is basically the last place on earth that doesn't tell you how long it'll be until another subway is going to be. That's pathetic.

I concur on Mexican food. It's the Northeast's great shame.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
1. Parisianish sidewalk cafes.
2. Sensible local government.
3. Housing supply (Not "affordable housing", just more housing)
4. A Land Value Tax
5. An east-west subway somewhere north of the 60s.
6. A wholesale cleanout of the MTA's ranks-- from janitors to upper management.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
great independent cafes. it feels like there's 1 for every 10 Starbucks out there. And 1 for every 50 that prides themselves on great coffee.

also, a Wegmans

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Cities get their character from "synergies" (yuck) not individual lists, NYC is interesting because of overarching characteristics not because of a checklist. On the other hand you can buy/do a lot of the same **** than in London and lists would support that but I still see both places as fundamentally different. People hardly take advantage of even 5% of the opportunities afforded them them in a mid-sized town so it does not matter much. The overall feel is still so different that it's how you "rationally" select a city.

I mean go to a large, say, Indian city and you'll realize it's a whole other world and you're missing out the total experience afforded there (just like they're missing out on NYC or even Wichita).

Absolutely. I agree 100%. A checklist certainly can't define, or redefine?, NYC's overall value/character. It's a personal thing. But i'm sure there are other metropolitan cities that have certain aspects that could be implemented in NYC. Outside of the bureaucratic/political red tape, just for ***** and giggles, i just wonder what could be ,well, cool or useful or even necessary to have here.

Magoo makes a great point. To paraphrase, our intra-transit system (MTA) ******* blows. I personally think it's the most mis-managed public agency in NYC, possibly the nation. On the flip side, it carries millions of people daily, and has been in existing since the turn of the century.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobdobalina
1. Parisianish sidewalk cafes.
2. Sensible local government.
3. Housing supply (Not "affordable housing", just more housing)
4. A Land Value Tax
5. An east-west subway somewhere north of the 60s.
6. A wholesale cleanout of the MTA's ranks-- from janitors to upper management.

By land value tax, do you mean your property taxes are directly tied to the perceived value of your land/property ?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KipBoehm