• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How fancy can I get at college before I get ostracized.

laphroaig

Reaction score
You're at college, that means you can wear anything you want. As long as you don't wear a suit every day and you can slob it up with the rest of them as needed. You could even go as far as copying one of Labelking's looks once in a while, right down the the monocle, and people would take it well, perhaps with bemusement, but well. If all you do is wear a suit every day though (especially a badly fitting one), it will be difficult for everyone else to make a connection with you, they just won't relate. No matter how fun, easy going or interesting you are, the suit will be a barrier.

On the other hand if you've already made lots of connections and have lots of friends you can wear whatever you want, white tie everyday if that floats your boat, they already know you and who you are, you'll just seem a little eccentric to them.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the op: pull a full Trepanier at your own risk.

freeAgent

Reaction score
I would stay away from suits or sport coats unless you're going out. I knew of one or two guys who wore suits, etc. every day. I'm not sure if they were ostracized or not, but they were certainly loners. I never said a word to any of them, though I recognized them (with so few, it's noticeable) and had a number of classes with them. If you want to be approachable and not look arrogant, don't overdress.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How "fancy" you can get really depends on you, some people can look very casual and relaxed in a smart jacket, although a suit to lectures is pushing it a bit. Have a look at the WAYWRN thread and you will see a few guys who post manage to look very casual in quite formal clothes, how you come of to other people depends on who you are and how you wear the clothes, not necessarily the clothes themselves. I wore a sports jacket pretty much all the time at university and, honestly, probably came across as slightly stuffy, but no one really treated me any differently because of it, and plenty of people can wear clothes like that without looking stuffy. Try mixing some more formal items with some more casual ones, or try and wear them with enough flair that you don't come of as a tool. Really in university you can wear whatever the hell you like, but If you feel overdressed you probably are.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you tall, slim, rich, and have an athletic scholarship?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can literally wear anything you want. If your shirt or pants have buttons...they'll think you're overdress.
Originally Posted by intent
Are you tall, slim, rich, and have an athletic scholarship?
icwutudidthar

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan Graber
I've been staying around the jeans + sportcoat, occasional slacks + sportcoat, but am curious how far I could go and not get looked at funny at college?
Could I wear a suit?
Can I wear a Tie with sportcoat and jeans?
Thanks

Seriously man, wear whatever you want. Stop caring what people think.

myke

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While "just be yourself" and "don't worry what other people think" are certainly well intentioned sentiments, unless you are taking some sort of business class where wearing a suit might not seem out of place there is really no reason to wear a suit and tie to school. Think about your surroundings and what your classmates are wearing. I'm not suggesting you should look like everyone else, but consider whether it is appropriate to be over dressed in such a casual situation. If you are better dressed than your teacher, you might want to try dressing down. Some occasions call for dressing up but I don't think attending college is one of them. Would you wear a tie to a baseball game? Or an ascot to a prep rally? I can understand wanting to look your best, but just as there are etiquette's to dressing up in formal situations, I'd say the same applies to casual situations.

i10casual

Reaction score
Just dress as you'd like too. People will get use to it after a few semesters. If you feel over dresses sitting next to the kid with a T & cargo shorts then wear an age appropriate cardi. instead of a sports jacket. Maybe leave the tie a home until you are doing presentations.

NOLA1

Reaction score
Wear the suit to class, it won't look wierd. You will get laid. Classmates will want to hang out with you.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear it in an ironic way and you get points. Must have no shoulder pads, be loud/garishly checked, and worn with a **** you attitude. Shirt is untucked, no tie and skewn like you just woke up from a night out on the town. Bloodshot eyes are compulsory.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
While "just be yourself" and "don't worry what other people think" are certainly well intentioned sentiments, unless you are taking some sort of business class where wearing a suit might not seem out of place there is really no reason to wear a suit and tie to school. Think about your surroundings and what your classmates are wearing. I'm not suggesting you should look like everyone else, but consider whether it is appropriate to be over dressed in such a casual situation. If you are better dressed than your teacher, you might want to try dressing down. Some occasions call for dressing up but I don't think attending college is one of them. Would you wear a tie to a baseball game? Or an ascot to a prep rally? I can understand wanting to look your best, but just as there are etiquette's to dressing up in formal situations, I'd say the same applies to casual situations.

This is a good post. Rejecting the norm for your peer group sends a pretty clear message that you don't want to be part of that group. That's fine if you really don't care, or if you have a sufficiently magnetic personality that people want to be part of your group. But if you advertise to people that you are not like them, don't be surprised when they decide you aren't like them.

It's really a matter of degree. A dude can be well dressed at college or a casual event without resorting to the full suit and tie, which tends to come across as try-hard. Whenever I see a dude so misread the social setting, I wonder if it's a reflection of a personality issue. Being "that dude" isn't a very attractive quality.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191