• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have a good Mojito recipe?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Soda water or sparkling mineral? I see both mentioned. Would Pelligrino work?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Soda water or sparkling mineral? I see both mentioned. Would Pelligrino work?
Yes, but tastes a little "off." I used it before, in a pinch, but wouldn't use it if I had club soda available. Just good ole dollar a bottle club soda works fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yes, but tastes a little "off." I used it before, in a pinch, but wouldn't use it if I had club soda available. Just good ole dollar a bottle club soda works fine.

Thanks. My wife, likes it, the mojito.

Actually, it seems to be quite the lady drink, probably due to all the sweetness.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. My wife, likes it, the mojito. Actually, it seems to be quite the lady drink, probably due to all the sweetness.
Yup. But also due to it, you can sneak in copious amount of rum by increasing the sugar content.
devil.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yup. But also due to it, you can sneak in a copious amount of rum by increasing the sugar content.
devil.gif

LOL. I'll let the guys still dating take that route. Mrs. P, unlike her pissant husband, is not a big drinker. 2-3 mixed or glasses of wine all night.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. My wife, likes it, the mojito.

Actually, it seems to be quite the lady drink, probably due to all the sweetness.

I hate that perception, although I also play into it. The Mojito and Daiquiri (not frozen) are classic gentleman cocktails.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I hate that perception, although I also play into it. The Mojito and Daiquiri (not frozen) are classic gentleman cocktails.

That may be, but I do see women liking them more than men. I'd certainly have one, maybe two, in a nice comfy outdoor chair, warm breeze wafting by. But I'd not make a night of drinking them, nor drink them anywhere but in the proper setting.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That may be, but I do see women liking them more than men. I'd certainly have one, maybe two, in a nice comfy outdoor chair, warm breeze wafting by. But I'd not make a night of drinking them, nor drink them anywhere but in the proper setting.
Every single woman I know loves it. I think it gives them an excuse to get krunk without appearing a lush. If I was a single dood, I'd learn to perfect this drink and break out the equipment during cookouts. You wouldn't believe the amount of pussay you could get with this drink. I'd drink quite a bit of mojitos when we have cookouts and such, but at the end of the night, I'd have to switch to something a little more potent, e.g. a nice whiskey or the rest of the leftover rum.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a place in Kirkland, Washington, that had great Mojito's. I think the name was Cactus.
fing02[1].gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need Depaz Cane Sugar Syrup.

Then the answer to the riddle is:

Juice of one lime,
10-12 mint leaves,
1/2-3/4 shot Depaz
Shot and a half of rum
2-3 ounces club soda.

Then shake the **** out of it. I made poor mojitos for a long time until I learned about Depaz and the importance of the shaker.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I think I'll be getting some Havana Club rum since I'm not in the US (suckas!) but I was wondering if it was better to use white rum because I've seen them use amber rum in Cuba.
Places that serve mojitos in Havana do use silver but the better places use a 3 year-old that looks like a dirty silver. I think they're on to something because it doesn't have the harshness of darker 4+ year-olds but doesn't come off as thin as pure silver rums. For reference, I'm talking about Havana Club rum although sadly I've never been able to find the 3 year-old outside of Cuba.
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
You need Depaz Cane Sugar Syrup.
I see a lot of people talk about using cane sugar but Cubans simply do not make their drinks that way. Simple syrup is the way to go imo.

Also, to somewhat go against what has already been stated, most places in Havana don't use fresh limes to muddle in the glass. They squeeze the juice beforehand and have it ready in plastic bottles along with the simple syrup so that it cuts done on the time needed to make several at once.

Typically, they'll take an empty glass, add a bit of simple syrup, the mint sprigs, and a shot of lime juice. Once things are nice and muddled, they toss in the ice cubes and add the rum and soda water.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
For reference, I'm talking about Havana Club rum although sadly I've never been able to find the 3 year-old outside of Cuba. .
el dorado produces one which i think is available in the us, for you i know they sell el dorado in panama but i ma not sure if they sell the blanco. and i am pretty confiedent that flor de caña produces a 4 year old white

XeF4

Reaction score
Matusalam is the rum you want to use. It's quality/price ratio is very good. I wouldn't reccomend an aged rum in a mojito, but I suppose some people like it that way.

Eventhough I don't really care for Mojitos myself, my recipe always yeilds many compliments:

Cut a lime in half.
Juice it.
Get a mixing glass.
put about 10 mint leaves in it.
add an ounce of simple syrup. (half water half sugar dissolved)
add an ice cube.
add a splash of soda water.
muddle about 20 times.
add two ounces of rum. (Matusalam Platino)
add three fourths ounce of the lime juice.
put mixing tin on top of the glass. (this makes a boston shaker)
shake ingredients about 30 shakes.
empty entire contents into serving glass.
Add about an ounce of soda.
Add mint spring, lime wedge, and straws.
you can sprinkle powdered sugar on the mint too.
serve.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think shaking a mojito brings too much air into the drink. Not to mention you really beat up the mint and lime. I take mine rolled.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My friends and I racked up a serious bar tab drinking mojitos from 4pm till 2:00 in Key West one day.

I make them a lot and even grow my own mint. For kicks I occasionally add a splash of peppermint schnaaps or even rumplemintz. It drastically changes the drink, but it's a nice change sometimes.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofeman