• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders

cmrocks

Reaction score
Hey,

I was hoping to get some info on BoO shirts.

1. Are they long enough to be tucked in? I'm just asking this because I generally see them recommended for people who are looking to wear button downs untucked. I really like the fit and fabrics they offer but I always wear my shirts tucked in so I need to take this into consideration.

2. Good place to buy them online?

Thanks

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
1. being a tucker and owing several BoO shirts....they wont stay tucked. they tuck in easy enough but if you lift your arms up even slightly the side will pull out. It's a (imo) badly designed shirt tail, the sides are really high up, but the front and back panel are kinda low (compared to the sides) so there is a huge "scoop" when looking from the side. I'm kinda fed up with the untuckability and as a result dont wear my BoO shirts much anymore.

2. hopefully soon Farinelli's, otherwise there's www.shopjake.com, www.southwillard.com, www.bluebee.com, www.eluxury.com, www.barneys.com seems like BoO shirts are fairly easy to get online now

cmrocks

Reaction score
Ahh that's what I feared.

Any other brand suggestions?

I'm looking for something with a slim fit but not overly so. Soft collar, preferably button down collar. I like no pockets better but it's not a deal breaker. Something that will wash nicely and feel soft after a few washes is also prefered. I don't really like stiff and structured shirts. I wear them with jeans most of the time and with cotton pants the rest of the time.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into drykorn for beautiful people. They aren't talked about much on the forum but I think you would be happy with them.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Black Fleece is good

sizing comparison I wear size Med BoO and size 0 Black Fleece

also, there's Hickey Style....really nice thick fabrics, cut isnt as slim as BoO but it's ok. price is same at retail. longer shirt tail that looks better tucked

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Black Fleece is good

sizing comparison I wear size Med BoO and size 0 Black Fleece

also, there's Hickey Style....really nice thick fabrics, cut isnt as slim as BoO but it's ok. price is same at retail. longer shirt tail that looks better tucked

i love black fleece, but i hate that my chest/shoulders are a 2 and the rest of me is a 1. i'm thinking about doing their MTM program...

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
phew, glad I saw this thread. I had a suspicion that they weren't long enough to tuck. Thanks for confirming it, I think I'll avoid BoO shirts.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
BoO shirts are impossible to tuck unless you get a long version which are hard to find. I agree with GS about the annoying tail design and wish the front/back and side difference wasn't so great. I have 3 BoO shirts (the s/s i can actually tuck though), and wish they were just an inch longer and fixed as far as the scoop at the bottom.

Filippa K button downs have a pretty nice slim fit. I bought one 2nd hand at the beginning of summer and it works pretty well tucked and untucked. Not skinny or anything, but a comfortable slim fit.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Filippa K button downs have a pretty nice slim fit. I bought one 2nd hand at the beginning of summer and it works pretty well tucked and untucked. Not skinny or anything, but a comfortable slim fit.
Another good suggestion. I like the cut of their shirts but their sleeves are always too long for me.

mink31

Reaction score
J Crew!
Slim (for me at least--I'm 6'1, 165 and wear a small), stay tucked in (but still short enough to leave untucked) and cheap when on sale.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the hem with the split-personality, BoO has been the most perfect fitting off the rack button down for me.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
J Crew!
Slim (for me at least--I'm 6'1, 165 and wear a small), stay tucked in (but still short enough to leave untucked) and cheap when on sale.

Even J. Crew's tailored fits have too much bagginess in the arms for my taste.

Histrion

Reaction score
I have a Tiger of Sweden shirt that is quite slim. You might have to get it shortened a bit (certainly longer than BoO), but they are great shirts. Cheaper than BoO too.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susanwalen