• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever compliment Women on their fashion?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
all im seeing in my head in an extremely flaming guy saying, oh coach, i love it. i cant really see a straight guy saying that. i can see a straight guy saying something like nice purse, i like the stlye etc. i think it being coach makes it even gayer. who the hell likes coach!?!?

when 13 year old girls start wearing coach sandals and carrying around coach purses it has lost its cache. Not that there is anything wrong with Coach, but for the price, you are not getting any of the exclusivity that is thought to go with it. And many years ago, it at least had some semblance of a sort of exclusivity. You can't deny that's what many women think they are getting, otherwise, who the hell wants a bag with a bunch of "C's" on it a la Gucci? Their goods aren't that nice overall.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asian tourists, sorostitutes and high school-age future skin cancer cases still think Coach is in its heyday and super exclusive. They are better than you and you are lucky to be able to date them. And they are richer than you.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Asian tourists, sorostitutes and high school-age future skin cancer cases still think Coach is in its heyday and super exclusive. They are better than you and you are lucky to be able to date them. And they are richer than you.

Hey, I take exception to that on behalf of my sister who I think supports 10% of Coach's US sales.
fight[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
+1.

And I find it a little odd to refer to anything by brand. Even in the unlikely event that I'd recognize a brand, you're better off just saying "I like your purse," or "cool shoes". After all, you are a guy. Guys shouldn't be brand whores.

I also generally complement the item or the combination of items that the woman is wearing, rather than the woman herself. Complimenting the woman herself (i.e. "you look great today") is reserved for a limited selection of females.

Originally Posted by odoreater
I compliment my wife on stuff she wears. Saying "Oh Coach, I love it" to a random stranger is for teh geyz.

+1 a straight man should not give a **** if a woman's purse is from coach. Say the outfit looks nice but commenting on the brand makes you sound like a tool.

Originally Posted by warlok1965
Yeah...but then again look where you are posting this.
devil.gif

Most of us are quality oriented. Although we may gravitate towards certain brands, it is not because of the exclusivity they represent as a brand, or the groups they make us a part of, but in the quality that brand possesses. It's totally distinct from the brand-whoring mentality of many women.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
+1 a straight man should not give a **** if a woman's purse is from coach. Say the outfit looks nice but commenting on the brand makes you sound like a tool.

No straight man does give a **** if a womans purse is from coach. Since when did they change the complimenting women rule to insist the compliment has to be entitrely sincere? It makes women feel good to be complimented. Women who feel good and associate you with this pleasant state pay dividends. And it doesnt matter whether you are hot for her or its merely platonic. Making it clear to her that you are aware it is a Coach bag is way better than just saying you like the bag. And saying you like the bag is better than not saying anything at all. If she knows you know its a Coach then all the exclusivity and luxury she paid a ton of money for is not wasted. The compliment has more psychological power.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you actually think these women give a **** about what you (men) think about them and their bags then you're all sorely mistaken. They carry designer bags for themselves, and for other women.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
If you actually think these women give a **** about what you (men) think about them and their bags then you're all sorely mistaken. They carry designer bags for themselves, and for other women.

Are you extrapolating this from the fact that you carry your man-purse for yourself and other men?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

Im sure they do carry them to impress each other. They probably get very few compliments on their handbags from men. Still, Im also sure they would all love to get a well delivered compliment about them from a man and that this compliment would really benefit the man who gave it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Im sure they do carry them to impress each other. They probably get very few compliments on their handbags from men. Still, Im also sure they would all love to get a well delivered compliment about them from a man and that this compliment would really benefit the man who gave it.

As a man, I could never lower myself to complementing a woman on the brand of her purse. Even for me, that's a little too gay.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen

The female handbag enthusiast (psycho) is no different from the man who worships at the shrine of baseball or automobiles. These are interests that those who partake in find enjoyment. I don't think the compliment itself matters, but the sentiment behind it. I do agree that if a man were comfortable enough with who he is to compliment a womans bag/ensemble that it would get him.......laid. As long as that well delivered compliment wasn't ****.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you extrapolating this from the fact that you carry your man-purse for yourself and other men?

Honestly, I carry around a bunch of crap, I might as well carry that crap in something I find beautiful. Life's too short for uninteresting accessories.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
As a man, I could never lower myself to complementing a woman on the brand of her purse. Even for me, that's a little too gay.

If you were fortunate enough to know the brand (I wouldnt know a coach from a grocery bag) and didnt use it to your advantage to put you in a better position with a woman, or to merely brighten up a womans day, then I would say your motives while not necessarily gay arent exactly heterosexual either.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
The female handbag enthusiast (psycho) is no different from the man who worships at the shrine of baseball or automobiles. These are interests that those who partake in find enjoyment. I don't think the compliment itself matters, but the sentiment behind it. I do agree that if a man were comfortable enough with who he is to compliment a womans bag/ensemble that it would get him.......laid. As long as that well delivered compliment wasn't ****.

I totally agree. The handbag thing, like shoes, is for the womans own satisfaction. Im just objecting to the idea that you shouldnt deliver an effective compliment for fear of appearing "gay". If you are afraid of looking gay you are going to have a very poor batting average with women. There is no such thing as a confident straight male who gives the slightest thought to whether he may be coming off as gay.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy