• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would like my t-shirt to fade

Mauby

Reaction score
Was given a couple of brand new graphic tees for the bday. My Q is do any of you have any tips for making them look worn/faded....aside from wearing, washing & drying them 50 times.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
wash them in hot water with some cheap powder detergent

done

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then hang them out to dry, and leave them out.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it's not selvage it won't fade anyway

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add a cup of hydrogen peroxide to the wash, or add baking soda together with the detergent. Wash on hot. Dry on hot. Repeat multiple times.

I did the above to a red AA t-shirt I thought was too bright. After about 5 times through the process its starting to look vintage.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a process where you soak it in salt water for 3 days and then dry it in the sun. Just google for how to fade a t-shirt.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of comments on the Internet from peopling saying they tried using RIT for this purpose and it didn't work. I personally have yet to try it myself, but I plan to. I suspect success varies depending on the particular dyes and dying processes used by the tee shirt manufacturers.

Has anyone here personally had success with RIT?

bbigsby

Reaction score
I used the RIT color remover on a pair on canvas shoes and it worked well. One packet of color remover took the shoes from ecru to more of a vintage white. I should work for cotton tees but it may be difficult to control the amount of fading without experimentation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics