• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Can't I Get Into Craft Beer?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I don't get it. I buy all kinds of beer. All different kinds. Arrogant Bastard, Stone, Anchor Steam, and tons of other micro brews. Anytime I taste discernible hops, I pretty much can't finish the beer. I just don't get the appeal. I think maybe I'm just not a beer guy, but that sounds really gay and makes little sense to me. I enjoy whiskeys and scotches and bourbons, so it's not like I'm against the alcohol. I think Delirium Tremens is okay, and Nocturnum is good. But I keep trying different kinds of craft brews and have a hard time finding any that I actually enjoy that much. I always just keep going back to beer like Pacifico, etc. I try probably two new beers each week, and I just don't get it.

Explain to me why I'm an idiot and give me something that will get me into micro brews.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not a craft brew fan myself. Tastes like semi carbonated wet fart to me.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try more malt-heavy beers. In my experience, you are either a hop person or you arent. Much like some people just never get that into sweets some people just never really like hop bitterness. I like hops cause theres always interesting citrus/fruit flavors mixed in with piney/resin flavors. Nowhere else to really sample that flavor combo.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not a craft brew fan myself. Tastes like semi carbonated wet fart to me.
If you drink beer, what do you drink? Or is that for phillistines, like drip coffee?
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Try more malt-heavy beers. In my experience, you are either a hop person or you arent. Much like some people just never get that into sweets some people just never really like hop bitterness. I like hops cause theres always interesting citrus/fruit flavors mixed in with piney/resin flavors. Nowhere else to really sample that flavor combo.

Yeah, just don't get the hops. Which doesn't make sense to me. I home brew with my father, and we use all three kinds of hops, but we don't use a ton of them. Or at least, I don't drink the beers that we make that have a ton of them. But even beers that aren't hop-heavy, I still just don't really "get" it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If you drink beer, what do you drink? Or is that for phillistines, like drip coffee?
I like all sorts of beers. I guess I drink Guinness, Bass and Negra most. Really, I will drink anything not wet farty. Drip coffee is just wrong. It has no place outside a gas station.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a 'bud' man?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean all three kinds of hops? Like you have three hop additions? 1@ the start of the boil for base bitterness, 1@ towards the end of the boil for more nuanced front-end flavor, and 1 addition (dry hopping) while fermenting, for aroma? Last time I checked there are way way more than three varieties of hops.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you just like what you like and there you have it. Why force things? If you have a good beer, one that never lets you down and is there for you when you want a beer, why keep poking into other bottles? A good beer is a good beer and should be cherished.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ He's a chef, probably looking to expand his palate.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like all sorts of beers. I guess I drink Guinness, Bass and Negra most. Really, I will drink anything not wet farty. Drip coffee is just wrong. It has no place outside a gas station.
Fine.
Originally Posted by 83glt
You're a 'bud' man?
uhoh.gif
No whey.
What do you mean all three kinds of hops? Like you have three hop additions? 1@ the start of the boil for base bitterness, 1@ towards the end of the boil for more nuanced front-end flavor, and 1 addition (dry hopping) while fermenting, for aroma? Last time I checked there are way way more than three varieties of hops.
Yes, I meant adding at the three different times. Obviously there are thousands of kinds of hops.
Originally Posted by Thomas
Maybe you just like what you like and there you have it. Why force things? If you have a good beer, one that never lets you down and is there for you when you want a beer, why keep poking into other bottles? A good beer is a good beer and should be cherished.
I enjoy my good beer. But it pisses me off that I keep trying to like this **** and I can't. It's not even that I'm embarrassed about what I like, because I don't have any reason to be embarrassed. I'm just stubborn and it annoys me that I can't get into it.
^ He's a chef, probably looking to expand his palate.
I guess that might be part of it.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it makes perfect sense that you might just not like beer. I don't like wine at all.

I've gotten into craft beer over the last few months and enjoy it almost as much as cigars. I've found that I like heavy, boozy, big hoppy IPA's but drank a bunch of **** before I found what I liked. Maybe you just need to keep trying? Do you like stout's?

dl

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dbl post

Night Owl

Reaction score
I don't know, it pisses me off that I can't get into ******** with men

I just don't get it what should I do

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads