• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Boots are these?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jodhpur boots. For example, Alfred Sargent Lambourne:
61classiclambourne.jpg

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help
smile.gif
Now I know what it is, I really want a pair. A quick search brought me the following 3 shoes. To my newbie eyes I can't really tell the difference. All 3 are offered in black and all 3 are the same style. Are there any subtle style difference? or things like quality control? Alfred Sargent Lambourne http://www.pediwear.co.uk/sargent/products/61.php Oliver Brown Leather Jodhpur Boots http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/leathe...ts-1241-0.html Tricker's Chepstow http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/724.php I am completely unfamiliar with shoes and brands, so please excuse my ignorance.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Alfred Sargent and Tricker's are very good, you can't go wrong with them. I don't know about Oliver Brown, so I can't comment. Search for those made by Crockett and Jones if you want higher quality shoes. Or Ralph Lauren since I beleive Ralph Lauren jodhpurs are made by Crockett and Jones.

Another thing is the last (ie. the shape of the shoes), some are more clunky/boxy, some are sleeker. So make sure that you can view those shoes at many perspectives to choose the one you like.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Both Alfred Sargent and Tricker's are very good, you can't go wrong with them. I don't know about Oliver Brown, so I can't comment. Search for those made by Crockett and Jones if you want higher quality shoes. Or Ralph Lauren since I beleive Ralph Lauren jodhpurs are made by Crockett and Jones.

Another thing is the last (ie. the shape of the shoes), some are more clunky/boxy, some are sleeker. So make sure that you can view those shoes at many perspectives to choose the one you like.

It's hard to beat Trickers on sale. CJ makes some RL, but not the RLPL jodhpurs

Edward Green
97-1-md.jpg

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RoseJan12
I am curious to see what valid arguments can be put forth against men wearing women's clothing. However, I'm not looking for short answers such as "Cuz its weird" or "Cuz that makes you gay", because neither of those even equate to arguments, more along the lines of excuses. Also, I want to see what arguments can be made that cannot also be turned against women wearing men's clothing.

Aren't there forums for cross dressers? Why would a man want to wear women's clothing?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RoseJan12
I am curious to see what valid arguments can be put forth against men wearing women's clothing. However, I'm not looking for short answers such as "Cuz its weird" or "Cuz that makes you gay", because neither of those even equate to arguments, more along the lines of excuses. Also, I want to see what arguments can be made that cannot also be turned against women wearing men's clothing.

Well men and women have different bone structure. A clothing cut for women doesn't always look good on men. Plus Men clothing suppose to be subtle and women are often annoying ostentatious. Aside from that there are the social convention that men wear men and women wear women, to avoid the social stigma is a very good reason not to stir the pot.

Thanks for the help with the Boots, now I know what to camp >.>b Hope there is a sale soon
smile.gif

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bring this back up again.

I think if I order a pair of Edward Green Gresham Boots it will be Dark Oak Colored.

But I am not sure about which last would look best. I definitely don't want a standard round tip. So it narrows the choice down to 606, 202 or 888.

Which do you guys think will be best?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Sorry for bring this back up again.

I think if I order a pair of Edward Green Gresham Boots it will be Dark Oak Colored.

But I am not sure about which last would look best. I definitely don't want a standard round tip. So it narrows the choice down to 606, 202 or 888.

202 is the roundest one
606 is very similar to 202, just a little bit more square
888 is the sleekest of the 3 with chiseled toe

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX

the one, that's fits you best.

personally 202

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to disminish in any way JamesX's enthusiasm for jodhpur boots, but the boot in the original picture appears to me to be a strap and buckle chukka of some sort. The quarters in the pictured boot, as best I can see, are overlapping the vamp/tongue, like this:

In jodhpur boots, the vamp/tongue overlaps the quarters, like this:

If I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing in the original picture, then never mind.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Olddog seems to be right.

Tilyou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Both Alfred Sargent and Tricker's are very good, you can't go wrong with them.
I have a pair of Tricker's Jodhpur boots, and I like them. They look smart, and I like their relative stiffness (which slighly limit ankle movement -- perhaps why they feel more precise and controllable when horseback riding or flying a spitfire).

When I tighted them mercilessly, the buckle didn't hold up. Fortunately a local cobbler had a sort of chunky replacement (what Trickers shuld have used in the first place) which is has made them reliable ever since (3+ years, though not nearly daily use).

I suppose Edward Green is a step up. Is the experience of wearing them much different? EG's cost around 3x Trickers and (from screen shots) look more or less the same. I am familiar with EG's luxurious leather, and I wonder if EG's Jodhpur is *not* stiff?

In other words, one of the things that makes EG amazing (luxurious + supple leather) seems at odds with what I assume are natural Jodhpur characteristics (a kind of stiffness).

If I get into the EG price range again, I will be tempted...

CK

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads