• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the rules and regulations regarding cufflinks?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, but a lot of that makes no sense.

Gold cufflinks are just fine. Keep the size underwhelming, the design classic to non-existent, and be sure that it is double, not single. You'll be fine.

I personally dislike large, toggle-backed cufflinks although I suppose if I were presented with the White House model for some meritorious service I'd find a way to wear them once.

If there were a copper or silver coin that were small enough to fit through a buttonhole, I'd consider getting cufflinks made from a set of four.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, one rule is that your metal should match; so the watch and cuff-links are ideally of the same material. Hence, if you are wearing a gold watch - you shouldn't wear silver cuff-links with them. Other than being understated, I don't know of any other 'rule'.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
umm there are no rules. double not single is a preference and the size and metal is also a preference.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of cufflinks? Aside from their function what is their stylistic and artistic mission?

I don't know about rules but I follow guidelines which are basically devised around "What would the most uninterested observer find admirable and compelling in a cufflink?" You don't want this observer to find you foppish or mass produced.

Maybe they reveal something about you but I would say as guidelines(I may have forgotten a few things) that I would follow:

1. With some exception for colorful shirts, they should be bright, not too delicate or intricate and rich looking.
2. They shouldn't be too big or too small. That's a case by case issue.
3. They should neither be too light nor too heavy in weight.
4. They shouldn't be too intricate.

5. People should be able to get their meaning at once and from a distance; unless you want people studying your cuffs.
6. They should convey a neutral to light-hearted, clever or comic message. Unless you're some sort of fanatic and congregate with the same religious, political or group oriented cufflinks (Masons for ex.) are to e avoided.
7. Whether they are toggle backed or chain linked, they need to be designed well to give your wrist enough room (and maybe your watch) and so that the cufflinks sits properly against the shirt.
8. Unless you're trying to impress a given set, cufflinks should be somewhat universal in terms of their appeal.
9. Although regarding 8 above it is advisible to have a connection to the cufflinks meaning if that meaning is universal. Don't wear golf cufflinks unless you play golf.
10. They should not protrude too much or be too thick and should not have sharp edges that could catch on sleeve linings, ties or suit fabrics.
11. With a handful of opaque exceptions, stones/jewels are not good and the bigger they are, the more this is true. Jewels as accents in metal cufflinks are alright, the fewer, the better. A little lapis and onyx mixed with gold/silver is good. Cabochon jewels as accents are good. A tiny diamond for effect can be good.

I don't mind a few violations, actually I prefer a few. No violations are boring.
Those coin cufflinks are cheesy. I don't mind cheesy cufflinks so much as these are unoriginal and camp. Coins are very overdone as cufflinks.

Crystals are wrong for a man unless he is "precious" knows this fact and embraces it.

Gold, I like gold but 22k? Now that's cheese overdrive. 18k is good and gold cufflinks should be on the small side because you run the risk that someone believes you're too flamboyant or careless with money. If you're a hip hop artist, get the big ones, otherwise, not. Even worse is that they give you a 9K mounting and clip?

Popularized mythical figure: Cheesy because it's common, cheesy because it's a person, cheesy because it's overdone, too intricate and complex a design requiring study. I could go on... I would rather have Tony the Tiger on my coin with a box of cereal and the legend "Theyyyyyyre Great!" or even the dragon sitting on its butt with a large belly and St. George's armor lying around with the legend "Every Dragon has its day" Now who would put that on precious metal except someone with a sense of imagination, humor and cohones.

Usually, fine silver, with or without enameling, is good enough.

The toggle back doesn't bother me that much a lot of that chain attachment being the only way is a faux rule, if it was ever a rule. That was someone else's opinion. The toggle back might even be necessary due to the weight of the coin but it may be nicer to do an arc with the end piece toggling rather than this sort. And when you put them all together... Kah-Bluey

Wearing silver next to gold is fine, even mixing them it is when you mix two different colored golds that you develop trouble.

Use, what exactly did you want them for? I were going to a Swedish girls' club I would want a pair that says "Blondes are best".

Price. I suppose they figure if you're silly enough to buy these then you'll gladly let them make you homeless. I think for half, maybe less, you could find an artist in London who works with metal or metal clay and get something original. If you did a coin you could do a fanciful one of your own design. Then someone would think it's clever.

The flip side is that I hate cheap looking cufflinks. Inexpensive cufflinks don't have to look cheap. Even gag cufflinks. Let's say I got Bart Simpsons head on one side of the chain gold plated and his donut in gold on the other side with pink frosting and sprinkles, that would be unique and although silly wouldn't look like they came from the Warner Bros. store. Also, this is a light hearted subject which men and women from all over can appreciate, relate to and "get".

I have my own thing. I like movies, cartoons/comedy, sports and I look for those. You may have an interest that you look for or should do.

Unless they are really well done, expensive looking and in good condition I do not like vintage cufflinks. Those art deco and Edwardian ones I see auctioned are too small and just because theyre on a chain doesn't mean they are ugly and uninspired.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads