• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Touch-up" ironing -- yes, no, maybe?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if "touch-up" ironing is acceptable or to be avoided at all costs. Linen/cotton pants and linen shirts quickly show wrinkles and look fresh with just a touch of ironing. I never press dirt, stains or a shirt that has been worn all day -- just get rid of wrinkles after wearing.

Thanks in advance!

Twotone

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't see the point really. Shirts, you end up washing after the day's wear anyway and then they get ironed after drying. And trousers tend to lose the worst wrinkles anyway after being brushed and then left hanging in your wardrobe for however many days it is until your next wearing. And since they tend get dirty quicker than winter trousers (lighter colour, sitting on grass, picnics, etc, etc), they'll get a wash & press soon enough anyway. As for wrinkles during a day - that's definitely not worth it. A few wrinkles are the point of linen.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For an evening event, I've steamed the wrinkles out of a jacket that I wore during the day. That's about it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
For an evening event, I've steamed the wrinkles out of a jacket that I wore during the day. That's about it.

Is it possible to steam a wool sport coat? I have a decent hot iron with vertical steaming capabilities and I was wondering if I should use it to get some wrinkles out of my jacket or just take it to the dry-cleaners to press.

If steaming is possible, could you give some basic advice on how to go about doing it?

Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jack!

As far as the OP question, I, too, don't see a point in touch-up ironing.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I never press dirt, stains or a shirt that has been worn all day

I suspect that even if you don't think you're pressing dirt, you really are. With that in mind, my answer is no. But, if what you meant was steaming them a bit to freshen them up, I suspect that's ok. Heck, I do that to my jackets and pants already (although they're wool not cotton/linen).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Is it possible to steam a wool sport coat? I have a decent hot iron with vertical steaming capabilities and I was wondering if I should use it to get some wrinkles out of my jacket or just take it to the dry-cleaners to press.

If steaming is possible, could you give some basic advice on how to go about doing it?

Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jack!

As far as the OP question, I, too, don't see a point in touch-up ironing.

My iron will emit steam when in the vertical position. All I do is hit the button and steam away.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
If you can't get a steamer,
some clip hangers and hang the pants from the cuff over night, many of the wrinkles/creases will work themselves out.
Less so with cotton, but works great on wool and reasonably well on linen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads