• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To resole, or not to resole?

dk_ace

Reaction score
As I just recently had to basically replace my wardrobe and money is tight, I did a lot of thrifting. I've had a lot of luck with shoes, picking up three pairs of great shoes in my size that just needed a little attention (trees, conditioner, and polish). The most recent acquisition isn't a vintage Italian pair like the others, but a fairly run of the mill Hugo Boss oxford. The leather used on the uppers is quite nice, and they're double soled (leather). They look nice, and fit well. Nothing particularly special, but a good solid shoe.

Here's the thing though, the bottom sole is nearly worn through and the heels are about ready to be replaced. I paid $5 for these shoes. Keeping them in the rotation and not resoling them, I figure they'll last a few months (I'm not particularly hard on leather soles as I do relatively little walking on concrete anymore). I could just wear them until the sole is shot and throw them away or I could resole them and wear them for a very long time.

So, would it be best to spend the money to resole them or to just wear them until they're done and spend the money I would have spent on a resole on new shoes? If it was one of my more special finds (the vintage Italian dress shoes which I'm quite fond of), I would not even hesitate to resole them. The fact that it's a fairly standard, although well-made, Hugo Boss offering makes me think that it might be smarter to use the money that could resole them to buy a new pair of shoes.

A possible third option would be resole with rubber and replace the heels (that would cost roughly $50), and then make them wet weather shoes. I have one other rubber soled pair of shoes that I wear in wet weather, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to have two?

D

csoukoulis

Reaction score
if money is tight i would go with whatever is cheaper. But then again you will probably find something better in a thrift before those shoes wear completely out. Whats your shoe size?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't see the return on sinking more and more money into the upkeep of secondhand Hugo Boss, but if you like the shoes, that's all that matters.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assume the resole costs $75 for leather soles. Would you have bought the shoes for $80?

If yes: Resole and enjoy
If No: Thrift another pair

viator

Reaction score
Wear them for a few days and see how you like them. If you like them, it might be worth having a rubber sole put on for wet days.

mic

Reaction score
I will be pretty surprised if many on this forum tell you it's worthwhile to re-sole these shoes. I certainly wouldn't repair any shoe I wasn't heavily invested in. I would either wear them a bit to get your $5's worth before they are completely finished, or just toss 'em and chalk it up to experience.

I find that over the past 10 years, about 9/10 of the stuff I've thrifted has been re-donated within a year or two. It's those occasional finds that turn into favorite pieces of clothing that keep me looking.

dk_ace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Assume the resole costs $75 for leather soles. Would you have bought the shoes for $80?

If yes: Resole and enjoy
If No: Thrift another pair

That's a good way of looking at it I suppose. No, I would not have spent $80 on them. I will almost certainly be able to thrift another pair of black shoes to replace them before they wear out completely.

I certainly haven't lost anything. They are very good looking shoes that I will get quite a bit of wear out of. For $5, I'm quite happy with them.

D

dk_ace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I'm interested in pic because I've never seen double sole Hugo Boss shoes.

If I have time when I get home I'll snap a pic and post it. They are definately double soled.

D

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr.Demento
Are you indigent, homeless or disabled? Don't you find it degrading buying used shoes? Even think of getting a job and buying new shoes? If you really are disabled I'll give you some of my AE or Churches shoes.
Half of the shoes in my shoe collection was used at the time of purchase. Buying used shoes is awesome
foo.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you indigent, homeless or disabled? Don't you find it degrading buying used shoes? Even think of getting a job and buying new shoes? If you really are disabled I'll give you some of my AE or Churches shoes.
You're a loser. ever think of getting a job and getting out of mommy's basement?
If you make it to 100 posts on this forum with your current attitude, I will be very suprised.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Half of the shoes in my shoe collection was used at the time of purchase. Buying used shoes is awesome

You're a loser. ever think of getting a job and getting out of mommy's basement?

yayyy, Petrus is back
smile.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In fact, I's have to put rubber gloves on to even touch a shoe that someone else wore. And then disinfect my hands.

Awww, i spoke too soon. Dr. Demento is already banned
frown.gif

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I have a similar question. What threshold do people have for resoling? When is it not worth it. Let's say I have a pair of shoes I paid $290 for. It will cost $150 to have it resoled and conditioned. Is that a good value proposition? Or should I just replace them?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar question. What threshold do people have for resoling? When is it not worth it. Let's say I have a pair of shoes I paid $290 for. It will cost $150 to have it resoled and conditioned. Is that a good value proposition? Or should I just replace them?

that's my dilemma when i purchase ae seconds. the shoes cost me anywhere from $100 to $200, but resoling at a reputable place can cost as much as $150.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads