• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about putting football buttons on this grey blazer - thoughts?

Willin

Reaction score
So I own the light grey J Crew blazer shown in the link below. I have always like "football buttons" and lately I've been considering putting them on this blazer.

Do you think it is a lame or farty look? Should I do it or maintain the blazer as it is now?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~17972/17972.jsp

http://suitored.com/blazersjackets/sportcoats/crew-solid-grey-tweed-ludlow-sportcoat/

Below is an example of a grey blazer with brown buttons:

Football buttons:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never heard them referred to as "Football buttons" and if that's really what they're called then I'll have to remove them from the tweed jacket I have that has them because "Football buttons" is too lame to live.

If you can come up with some other term for them then I approve of the look.

OTM

Reaction score
Aren't they just called leather buttons?

I say go for it! Experiment! Worst case, you put the grey ones back on

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather buttons are very, very classic on tweed. If you like 'em, go for it.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never heard them referred to as "Football buttons" and if that's really what they're called then I'll have to remove them from the tweed jacket I have that has them because "Football buttons" is too lame to live..

I've always heard them being called 'football' buttons because that's what they look like, an old style leather football *.

* A football being one of these

...and NOT one of these.

I think this is a rugby ball or something..... JK... I know it's an American football. Think they call the other football 'soccer' in the USA.

Last edited:

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly that those are not blazers by any definition of the term.

If you did have a real blazer ie a sports club jacket, and you had official football club buttons you were entitled to then by all means wear them. Here are some South African Springbok Rugby blazer buttons:

Springbok.jpg

If your team doesn't have official blazers maybe they have a patch you could sew onto the coat.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely. I'm a big fan of the leather buttons. tweed coats don't look right to me without them.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
For some reason I can only wrap my head around having leather buttons if you also have elbow patches. I have a green tweed jacket with leather buttons that I just sent to the tailor to have blue suede elbow patches added to.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads