• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Collection of Shoe Appreciation

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
Here is an English oldie with a somewhat wide welt and a very very thick sole John McHale it be called.

DSCN0973.jpg

Simply gorgeous!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
While the Italians certainly have done a lot to popularize the wider welt, recall that American companies did so some five to six decades ago.
Yes and no. American men might have taken wide-welted gunboat shoes into town but English manufacturers also have used that method (although for non-business shoes).

A wide welt (split-reverse or storm welt) has always been the standard for heavy sport and utility shoes. In a city shoe the welt was cut as narrowly as the machine operator dared. The rule, for a top quality shoe was, that looking from above on the shoe, the welt couldn't be seen.

For many years Italian manufacturers prided themselves with the narrowest and thin-soled shoes. Added by Blake-stitched as the production method of choice, you could not only put on a very thin sole but could cut it extremely narrow.

That all changed, maybe twenty years ago, when Italian manufacturers discovered Norwegian and similar production methods. There you need a wide-ish welt, just to accommodate the stitches riding on top of the welt. That wide welt look was copied but other manufactures as a design feature, not necessarily using labour-intensive hand stitched Norwegian construction. That look might have reached its zenith maybe ten years ago, now Italians have returned to slicker shoes.

janne melkersson

Reaction score
I don't know if shoe factories can offer different welt styles but in the bespoke trade many makers offers three options;
close welt, just shown stitches and shown stitches. If not the client has any special request I make my shoes with just shown stitches.

The way the maker control this is by adjusting the feather on the insole according to which style requested. If it only will be adjusted by cutting the welt narrow to the upper it is a risk that the sole stitches hit the inseaming tread and brake it. The feather has to be moved a coupple of millimetres towards the interior of the insole to protect the inseam and to allow the welt to "creep" underneath the insole.

Edward Green seems to make most of their shoes close welted and John Lobb seems to like just shown stitches the best.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two humble additions to the thread as I was snapping some pics today.

These Alden shell cordovans are about 10 years old. They have been fully resoled once, and reheeled countless times. They have gotten a lot of wear and have been polished after every wearing. Cordovan is quite a material!

2006march011medium5ax.jpg

10mu1.jpg

Edward Greens. 202 last.

2006march024medium3qe.jpg

2006march025medium2ks.jpg

lionel

Reaction score
As promised in my latest reply, a picture of my "antiqued" EG Dover 606 Dark Oak with double sole. The leather was lighten using aceton and bleach.

The shoes have some dust on them, they have spent the whole winter in th box. They can't wait to go out!

pict64921tf.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Marvelous.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
A little bit of shoe Appreciation for your viewing pleasure ...

satshoes9nl.jpg

top: JL Gamay
bottom, from left to right: C&J HG Ormond, JL Sandon, C&J HG Cleveland, JL Westminster

Right out of the box ... not yet polished.

cjormond5do.jpg

jlsandon8se.jpg

cjcleveland28fs.jpg

jlwestminster7my.jpg

Is there anybody able to identify the bottle in the first picture?
wink.gif

Looks like those shoes only been tried on once or twice. Aren't you gonna wear them?

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
A little bit of shoe Appreciation for your viewing pleasure ...

top: JL Gamay
bottom, from left to right: C&J HG Ormond, JL Sandon, C&J HG Cleveland, JL Westminster

Right out of the box ... not yet polished.

Is there anybody able to identify the bottle in the first picture?
wink.gif

Sysdoc, what's the last of the Ormond and Cleveland ? Is it the 337 last ?

lameduck

Reaction score
zjpj83, I'm loving the EG 202's. The colour looks marvelous. And after seeing those JL chelseas... well, I think I might get some myself!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lameduck
zjpj83, I'm loving the EG 202's. The colour looks marvelous. And after seeing those JL chelseas... well, I think I might get some myself!
They are great. I never thought I was a "boot person" until these.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love those Cheslands. There were a few pair on ebay this week in my size in brown suede that I let go, but I may send an email to the seller to inquire about them. I don't have a chelsea boot, though i have a few chukkas. I'm getting more and more fond of suede lately too.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Looks like those shoes only been tried on once or twice. Aren't you gonna wear them?
Didn't want to call the posting "weekly shoe damage". I had been afraid I'd get into legal trouble as that description has recently been copyrighted by a certain New Yorker who is said to buy every single non-black shoe between size 8 and 9.5 .
wink.gif
The shoes on the pictures have just been tried on. I took the pictures in my fiancee's house in England the evening after I had bought them. I usually fly into LHR in the early morning and then either rent a car and drive up to Northampton or go shopping into London before I meet Kate in the evening.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Tibo
Sysdoc, what's the last of the Ormond and Cleveland ? Is it the 337 last ?
Cleveland - C&J's new 350 last Ormond - C&J's "old" 330 last
smile.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The C&J HG Cleveland is absolutely exquisite, and I would love to grab myself a pair. Can anyone provide me more info on this shoe (I see the above post talks about "last" - please elaborate) or more info on C&J in general?

I'm out in California, and my initial web searches for this shoe have been fruitless. I can't even find it on their website! Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads