• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Trend of "Natural, Organic Beauty" (The New York Times)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be a victim of hype. "There is no evidence to conclude that natural or organic cosmetics produce extra healthy skin." Please read the article.

kakemono

Reaction score
this is a trend in everything...

Poeple think organic=better. Organic stuff helps preserve our planet. Organic=conscious buyer, Organic=free ride to heaven - dang...

Local grown food, whether its with insecticides or not, is better than organic - but people buy organic b/c its organic (organic apples = they just spray it with soap instead of chemicals).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you're talking "organic" or not, can't you say the same thing about the entire beauty product industry?

I am continually amazed by how otherwise highly intelligent and discerning women will spend farcical amounts of money on products that perform no better than something that they can buy for $5 at the discount cosmetics shop. Further, most of the products really do nothing at all - so you're paying $150 or more for a small vial full of puffery...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Using you're argument Acne, Nudie Jeans Co, NDG should all be put out of business of making jeans.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
^ Using you're argument Acne, Nudie Jeans Co, NDG should all be put out of business of making jeans.

I assume that you're talking about my post?

There's no doubt at all that there is a huge amount of "puffery" in the fashion industry as a whole, including clothing as well as cosmetics.

That's the main reason that brands such as Prada, Louis Vuitton and many other "trendy" or fashionable brands don't get much love on this forum, as many of the people here are of the view that those brands are largely a triumph of marketing hype over product substance.

Still, I do think that even if someone pays extortionate prices for an LV handbag, they are still getting better value for money than if they pay an extortionate amount for a small pot of water, clay, grease and a few chemicals. The former actually provides them with a service - they can carry things around in it - but the latter does pretty much nothing at all except extract money from their LV wallet or purse.

sirilucky

Reaction score
Buying organic clothes and having organic foods makes us live more healthier as they are made out of certain production standards. Life is all about how you live it! It's about treating yourself well, both physically and mentally. Always remember that when inner beauty and self-confidence meet fun and flirty, everyone has a great time. I would love to share few points which i believe and do follow. I believe Natural Product Selections Benefit You, Your Children - and the Planet.
When it comes to raising an environmentally conscious child, eco-minded experts agree that the responsibility lies with parents. By setting a real-life example of how even one person - at any age - can play an active role in aiding the environment, you can help raise your children to be good stewards of the land.

One way to encourage children to follow in your eco-friendly footsteps - right from the start - is to purchase natural products such as organic cotton clothing and bedding, reusable diapers, recycled paper goods and organic foods. A commitment to the purchase of "green" products sends a strong message to your children about the limited availability of the earth's resources and the important role Mother Nature plays in our lives.

By choosing natural products, you show your children that you're concerned about where the product came from and where it's going - and want to be sure no harm is being done to the environment along the way.

Creating "Green" Habits
The habitual purchase of natural products demonstrates a clear message about the importance you place on aiding the environment - for the benefit of your children and your children's children. Of course, the importance of purchasing "green" goods isn't learned in one sitting. It takes time - especially with young children. It's up to parents to make each trip to the store, and every natural product purchase, a learning experience. Over time, your children will begin to understand - and even mimic - your eco-friendly behavior.

I have very sensitive skin so I cannot tolerate any perfumes or chemicals. I love buying organic to be more healthier, to support sustainability and protect the environment. After doing a lots of research and shopping on organic clothing and skin care sites I found I have finally found Peaceful Valley Earth Friendly Clothing & Gifts. And now I am a big fan of the company their products. Its a one-stop shop for every thing you and your family needs. While surfing I found a great coupon for some here, just a little more than halfway down the page www.sustainlane.com/green-saver-discount-coupons/_clothing-fashion. How do you all feel about using green and sustainable products, clothes and gifts for your family?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hormone free meat=more money on steroids

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never used to care, but after seeing what goes on in factory farms, I try to buy as much organic, local, and grass-fed meat as I can. Usually it's some combination of the three.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
I never used to care, but after seeing what goes on in factory farms, I try to buy as much organic, local, and grass-fed meat as I can. Usually it's some combination of the three.

I was doing basic maintenance last summer as an electrician at a chicken factory and have tried to buy free range ever since. **** was gross.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think organic makes that big a difference, although I usually buy organic (and local when I can) produce.

In the case of Grass Fed vs Corn Fed beef, they are not equal due to the presense of omega 3's in grass fed. Taste wise, no difference. Of course, grass fed beef might just mean they have the option to go to pasture even t hough they are fed corn the rest of the time.

turbozed

Reaction score
Organic fruits and veggies actually contain more toxins than the 'regular' pesticide sprayed equivalents. It's on the order of thousands of times more toxic (which speaks more to the safety of the regular foods since organics are obv safe to eat as well).

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
after seeing what goes on in factory farms, I try to buy as much organic, local, and grass-fed meat as I can.
You said it, brother.

Take the red pill: http://www.themeatrix.com

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apples grown using synthetic chemicals have half the nutrients as apples grown naturally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads