• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Grammar Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There have been questions of grammar here and there on the forum, but I thought it would be good to put it all in one place. I remember when I first took college English and wrote my first paper it came back to me bleeding with red ink. Ultimately, the professor thought what I said was good, but I had horrible grammar. I feel that I have learned a little bit since that time, however my grammar still bugs me quite a bit. I think about different tidbits often and I know there are some writers here and people who seem to have much better diction and prose than myself that might be able to help me out.

I will kick off the thread with the word "that". Does it change meaning, or is it more or less formal to use when not a noun? For example, the first sentence in, Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf reads, "Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself." Ok, this is fine, however my first thought while reading this is that I would have included "that" so it would read, "Mrs. Dalloway said that she would buy the flowers herself."

Does this change the meaning?

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
no, not really, the lack of 'that' is a reflection of time period more than anything else

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
if you want to see something really interesting, try to read handwriting from the 1800s

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The "that" is a relative pronoun. In English, it can be omitted without changing the sense. "The tie I bought" = "the tie that I bought." The relative pronoun "whom" works the same way: "he is the man to whom I gave the money" = "he is the man I gave the money to." Including the relative pronoun marks the usage as somewhat more formal. (In some languages, you can't omit the relative pronoun. For example, in French you'd say "l'homme que j'aime." You can't say "l'homme j'aime.")

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The "that" is a relative pronoun. In English, it can be omitted without changing the sense. "The tie I bought" = "the tie that I bought." The relative pronoun "whom" works the same way: "he is the man to whom I gave the money" = "he is the man I gave the money to." Including the relative pronoun marks the usage as somewhat more formal. (In some languages, you can't omit the relative pronoun. For example, in French you'd say "l'homme que j'aime." You can't say "l'homme j'aime.")

I was always taught that "whom" should be used when a proposition is introduced. "To whom it may concern", or as you put, "he is the man, to whom I gave the money."

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was always taught that "whom" should be used when a proposition is introduced. "To whom it may concern", or as you put, "he is the man, to whom I gave the money."

Do you mean preposition? "Whom" is the object form of "who." In other words, whenever the person being referred to is in the object position--direct object, indirect object, object of preposition, etc--then you say "whom." If in the subject position, you say "who." So that's what explains the rule about prepositions: if the person being referred to is coming after a preposition, it's an object and therefore a "whom." (There are some exceptions to this. It works just like "he" and "him" in that way.) In many cases you can avoid the issue by dropping the pronoun: "He is the man I gave the money to." But sometimes not: you don't want to say "To the person it concerns!"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Accident. I usually say, "an accident", but I frequently hear people not use the "an". Which is correct? "By accident" sounds wrong to me, "by an accident" sounds correct. :confused:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard nor read "by an accident" before, at least not when a "by accident" can be used.

Let's assume you mixed up some keys. Now what does "I mixed up the keys by an accident" say? It seems to imply that because of an accident, you mixed up the keys. In case you say "I mixed up the keys by accident", it suggests that the accident itself was the mixing up of the keys.
To be honest though, to me, "I mixed up the keys by an accident." sounds wrong and I doubt it is correct English. I was just trying to analyze it assuming that it was correct. I'd rather say "I mixed up the keys due to an accident", if in fact the mixing up was caused by a specific accident. If the mixing up was the "accident", or misfortunate happening,--like I said before--then I would go with "I mixed up the keys by accident/unintentionally".

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have noticed that younger people say "on accident." That sounds odd to my ears. Plus, the preposition "on" doesn't make a lot of sense in that context.

I've never heard anyone say "by an accident." I think "by accident" is much more common. Plus it makes sense.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A funny new error I'm seeing in the papers I'm grading: "even know" for "even though."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads