• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Prices / Recommendations in NoVA

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw a post.. here or AAAC, in reference to this.

I'm curious as to what prices are for a good-to-excellent tailor to perform certain tasks i.e. sleeve shortening on a RTW shirt or taking in the sides on a RTW shirt.

My tailor charges me 18 for the sides, 25 for the sleeves.

And a quick aside.. which almost made me change my mind about my tailor- the LP blazer, I was having the alterations and whatnot performed and asked for functional buttons, which the tailor said he no longer did.. etc.. If I had him put non-functional on, he said he would leave the vent? or something so that they could go back and make them functional. Is this accurate? I really like the guy so I went ahead with something I didn't absolutely love, which was probably stupid in retrospect.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are you using now? There's a guy on Wisconsin Avenue across from the Safeway - can't remember his name - Field or something I think... he's quite good!

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reed's Custom Tailors in Arlington -

Field's is right next to Sky Valet, I walk by it all the time.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with Reeds... have you given Field's a shot?

So you didn't get the functional buttons?

I'm always leery when someone - a tailor, car mechanic, gardener, etc. - tries to dissuade me from what I really want (unless it's someone who knows better - like a doctor, and there are potentially disastrous ramifications involved). And since there is only a positive upside to functional buttons... and the only reason he denied your request is because he doesn't do them anymore -- I would have politely walked out and taken them somewhere that can do functional buttons (even if he is a nice guy).

Also, I've had things done at Neiman Marcus and Saks in Tysons II, and I greatly prefer the professionalism of Neiman's to Saks... it's a smoother operation at Neiman's, and that's where I go exclusively now. And as long as it's a brand they carry (like your LP) then they don't even ask if you bought it there... I'm not sure if they even care all that much.

42short

Reaction score
I use Field's for difficult / important tailoring jobs (i.e., making significant changes to a new jacket, etc.). His work is without compare. I once brought him an old suit of mine, which I liked, but needed a few tweaks. He advised additional changes, and when I got the suit back the change was incredible... it suddenly had a shape and fit I never thought possible. I was blown away. I do not have all my tailoring done there however... it is difficult for me to get there frequently, his turnaround time is longer than most, and he does not do shirt alterations.

I have tried a few other area tailors (Roland's, Millie's, etc.), but one I've used for a couple months now and really like is Kim's Tailor in Great Falls. In particular, he does shirts and does them very well. Cost is $20 for shortening, including moving plackets (my shirts always need shortened a LOT). I'm very impressed with the quality of the work... the pleats/folds are well done, the stiching is good, etc. I have entrusted him with Truzzi, Hilditch & Key, and Isaia shirts... and I have not been disappointed. His shop is on Georgetown Pike right in the town.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 42short
I've used for a couple months now and really like Kim's Tailor in Great Falls. In particular, he does shirts and does them very well.

Thanks 42short - I'll give them a shot!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads