• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit pants break

dinted voice

Reaction score
I just purchased a Kenneth Cole suit which is flat front and slim fitting. There is no break in the suit pants. They hit just at the shoe. What are your thoughts on this keeping in mind it is a slimmer fitting "modern" suit?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
I just purchased a Kenneth Cole suit which is flat front and slim fitting. There is no break in the suit pants. They hit just at the shoe. What are your thoughts on this keeping in mind it is a slimmer fitting "modern" suit?

Keeping in mind is that the pants move while walking. Now, the questions is which look is desired. When you are french, it is ok without a break and showing your socks. If you are german it is rather unusual.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it should be fine. I prefer a slight break, but the no-break look is currently in among us young'ns

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with it. Also, start saving for a new suit, as your KC will not last forever.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May need to see some pictures, but it sounds fine, with the exception of the fact that you bought a KC suit.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit pants with no or slight break works well with a slim build body; for bulky/athletic builds, stick with a noticeable break IMO, to shape your legs better.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Mishon,

What would be your recommendation for someone buying a suit and not wanting to spend over $200 for a suit? I know it is certainly not the best made suit. I try to get the best looking suit I can within my price range, which is limited at the moment. I would love to be able to afford some of the nicer and more expensive items on here. I have noticed though that a shirt/suit/pants etc that may not be the best made, still look good if they fit properly.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
Mishon,

What would be your recommendation for someone buying a suit and not wanting to spend over $200 for a suit? I know it is certainly not the best made suit. I try to get the best looking suit I can within my price range, which is limited at the moment. I would love to be able to afford some of the nicer and more expensive items on here. I have noticed though that a shirt/suit/pants etc that may not be the best made, still look good if they fit properly.

All the advices so far are good and spot on. KC suit may not get any raves on this forum, but keep in mind that a well-fitting suit that flatters you and make you look great is preferred to a poor-fitting handmade suit.

If your budget is only $200 it makes buying a reasonably good suit difficult, not impossible. You need to ask yourself how often you wear your suit. If it's once a week I would not worry too much. Just don't dry clean your suit, if possible, knowing that each dry cleaning significantly damages the fused suit.

When you are ready to wear a suit more often, with a budget of $200, try buying used on ebay. Many here will say buy online...etc, but if you don't know your measurements well, buying clothing without trying on is fraught with potential disasters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads