• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fit check

doodledoc

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if you can do a fit check. I bought this Benjamin suit from eHaberdasher. It's a 41R/42R. I think it's too small on the shoulders and tight on the arms and in the back.

As you can tell, there are divots on the shoulder and it pulls on the back. The next size up is 0.6 inches bigger on the shoulder and 2 inches bigger on the chest. However, I'm not sure how much bigger the waist will be. What do you think?

I'm 5'9'', 170 lbs. The pants are a 34 and are fine (not shown). They need to be hemmed and taken in

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer a broad shoulders, prominent chest, and slim waist look, and right now that jacket makes your hips look wider than your shoulders and your chest rather shallow. I'm not sure how to achieve this ideal though.

The back also looks like it can be trimmed a bit, as there's a lot of drape back there.

And the problems with the shoulders looks like a sleeve head rather than a shoulder width issue.

forzaroma

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but I need help with fit regarding this particular suit from eharberdasher. I'm buying a Benjamin Suit from ehaberdasher and was wondering if this the old model, "Classico" or the new model, "Nobile". I ask because I'm the same height as you and usually wear a size 42R. I would hate to buy one and end up being baggy around the waist. I have a huge drop as well, about ~ 11".

Here are my measurements:

5'9" 150lbs
Chest: ~41-42"
Shoulders: ~18.5 - 19"
Waist: 32"
Inseam: 32"

Can you please get back to me with suggestion on which size to order based on my measurements and also let me know if this is the new model or not. thanks

doodledoc

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but I need help with fit regarding this particular suit from eharberdasher. I'm buying a Benjamin Suit from ehaberdasher and was wondering if this the old model, "Classico" or the new model, "Nobile". I ask because I'm the same height as you and usually wear a size 42R. I would hate to buy one and end up being baggy around the waist. I have a huge drop as well, about ~ 11".

5'9" 150lbs

Can you please get back to me with suggestion on which size to order based on my measurements and also let me know if this is the new model or not. thanks

The suit above that I was wearing is the Classico II. Regarding that one, it is baggy around the waist. I ended up returning the suit and have since moved on to different brands.

With a chest the size of yours, you'd have to go with a 42R or bigger. However, the jacket's hips will be likely too big for you (as they are mine). My advice is to find a different brand.

forzaroma

Reaction score
Thank you Doodledoc for the prompt response. I'm thinking same, but if anybody else wants to help with the comparison and fit of the new model (Nobile) vs the previous model (Classico II) I would appreciate it.

Doodledoc, what brands with about similar price range and specs do you think I should look into? My budget is about $600. I've heard great things about Suit Supply but I'm hesitant on the quality compared to Benjamins.

Thank you!!

doodledoc

Reaction score
Thank you Doodledoc for the prompt response. I'm thinking same, but if anybody else wants to help with the comparison and fit of the new model (Nobile) vs the previous model (Classico II) I would appreciate it.

Doodledoc, what brands with about similar price range and specs do you think I should look into? My budget is about $600. I've heard great things about Suit Supply but I'm hesitant on the quality compared to Benjamins.

Thank you!!

There are a few pics of the Nobile in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/69315/www-ehaberdasher-com-affiliate-page

Lately, I've been purchasing from Spier and Mackay: http://www.styleforum.net/t/383376/spier-mackay-official-affiliate-thread

Obviously, Spier and Mackay is not the same quality as Benjamin Sartorial, but it can be had for half the price (all prices on their website are in CAD and there's currently a 20% off code). I recently purchased a half canvas suit for $150 USD from them and it fits my needs. It should also be noted that I changed my exercise regime since those photos above. I don't lift as heavy and do more cardio.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with suits, but I would recommend buying one in person. There are so many things aspects of a suit that can fit wrong, which makes buying one of your first suits online a terrible idea. I bought suits from Suit Supply and they offering free shipping and free returns, but receiving, removing the suit from packaging, trying it on (it'll likely be extremely wrinkled and you'll have to have the jacket on the hanger for a few days to let the wrinkles come out), putting the suit back into the package, sending it back and waiting a week to get your money back. It's all a pain **********. If you can go to a physical Suit Supply store, that'll be much better.

Last edited:

forzaroma

Reaction score
Thank you Doodledoc for all your suggestions. I found a good link on how to measure Jacket size directly, so I'll find a jacket that fits me well and compare with the measurements given for the Benjamin Suit. Will report back soon.

Ttailor

Reaction score

5'9" 150lbs

Most suits fit a chest to waist drop of much less than 10 or 11 inches, (probably more like 5-6 inches) so almost any jacket that you find to fit in the chest is going to be relatively big though the waist on you.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Most suits fit a chest to waist drop of much less than 10 or 11 inches, (probably more like 5-6 inches) so almost any jacket that you find to fit in the chest is going to be relatively big though the waist on you.
Also forzaroma, if you supress the waist, the quarters begin to flair, which then makes the hips of the jacket larger. Keep this in mind.

Since you have a big drop, don't suppress the waist too much. If you do, you'll obtain an hour glass shape, but it'll likely make you look gay. It'll make look less masculine.

Ttailor

Reaction score

Also forzaroma, if you supress the waist, the quarters begin to flair, which then makes the hips of the jacket larger. Keep this in mind. 

Since you have a big drop, don't suppress the waist too much. If you do, you'll obtain an hour glass shape, but it'll likely make you look gay. It'll make look less masculine. 

I think you must mean feminine, right?

forzaroma

Reaction score
We'll I went ahead and bought the suit, just couldn't give up with those specs and price. The new model from what I gather is more of an Italian cut, with the jacket conforming to the sillohuette of the body. Also they said it's similar to Z Zenga. I'm hoping it doesn't give that hour glass shape you mentioned. haha...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads