• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suggestions for a closet/ wardrobe

krillin

Reaction score
i was thinking of getting an antique wood closet for less than 1k but there was only space for several suits since this may have been the extent of peoples wardrobes back then. i'm willing to consider modern options with the same budget. would prefer ready made or assembled to having a carpenter make me one.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by krillin
i was thinking of getting an antique wood closet for less than 1k but there was only space for several suits since this may have been the extent of peoples wardrobes back then. i'm willing to consider modern options with the same budget. would prefer ready made or assembled to having a carpenter make me one.

Ikea has a couple of choices. Not great quality but will last for a little while. Custom closets can be very expensive in my experience.

krillin

Reaction score
thanks artisan fan! do you think this is ikea? i loved this since i first saw it on the permanent style blog. were i to go modern i would go for something like this. the antique one still needed some work on the outside and new interiors.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. Looks a bit nicer than Ikea. Usually the Ikea closets have sliding translucent doors.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
While I do not know what is shown on the picture, you will be able to build something similar with a wardrobe purchased from Ikea. What you are looking for is called Pax. They come with a variety of doors, some of them translucent, some of them solid. It is one of the more expensive items, you may pay up to your budget for this, depending on the options. Unfortunately I do not have any personal experience with this item. If price is a guide, it might well be a little more durable than most of their items.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
While I do not know what is shown on the picture, you will be able to build something similar with a wardrobe purchased from Ikea. What you are looking for is called Pax. They come with a variety of doors, some of them translucent, some of them solid. It is one of the more expensive items, you may pay up to your budget for this, depending on the options. Unfortunately I do not have any personal experience with this item. If price is a guide, it might well be a little more durable than most of their items.

Ikea furniture usually does not hold up well over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads