• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Specific John White Shoes

2quiet

Reaction score
Have heard that John White shoes are low quality for a number of reasons. Namely that they aren't welted and use a lesser quality of leather. This has always made them a brand to avoid, however recently I came across a pair that I wasn't sure whether this would apply to (to such a significant degree). The shoe in question is this: http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/shoes/105/ A black patent balmoral dress shoe. Because it's this kind of shoe, where competitors' shoes (at similar prices) are also rarely welted and more often cemented, and we're now dealing with patent rather than a leather such as calfskin, is it likely still to be of comparably poor quality? Asking because compared to a Sanders Strand (here: http://www.sanders-uk.com/products/Strand---7158BWL.php), the fitting (F) of the John White would be better for me than the fitting (G) of the Strand, and I could get the John White for less than half the price - this is always preferable everything else equal, of course, but seems especially so in this case since I'd attend an event at which I'd wear these maybe once or twice a year. The single difference make wise that I am sure of is that the John Whites have a resin sole, compared to the leather sole of the Sanders (and I'm not sure what I think about that, having not had resin soled shoes before). Other than that can't see much of a difference across the internet, so was wondering if anyone might be so kind as to help out! Thank you guys, have lurked here a while and have learned much from your community.

2quiet

Reaction score
Still wondering about these shoes, and in addition am wondering about opinions on swapping out the laces for some grosgrain ribon, which I saw done somewhere else and was intrigued by.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
It seems like a sound enough choice to me; the shoes don't seem badly styled and if the sole type and construction doesn't bother you, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it - as you say, you won't be wearing them that often. I ought to mention, however, that although both of my pairs of dress shoes (patent Oxfords and pumps) are Church's, I got them at very deep discounts (working out to about £25 a pair, I think), one from an Austin Reed store (slight seconds) and the other on eBay, so that might be an option worth considering as wel, if you have the time.

2quiet

Reaction score
Thanks Anthony. Am always on the lookout of eBay, FS board here, and places of that kin for some good quality, discounted shoes like the ones you were able to grab. Would ultimately love some patent pumps, but they either require waiting for on eBay, or waiting for to be made bespoke, and so I fear an event turning up and me not having shoes at the ready at all! With that in mind it seemed reasonable to take some cheaper balmorals from John White and then snare some pumps whenever I get fortunate enough to (or financially comfortable enough to buy some new - student income is kind of limiting!).

Thank you again Anthony,

and anyone else who would still reply!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads