• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some of you suit experts...

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Your help is requested. I just got my Zegna Su Misura I bought off ebay. The problem is, the sleeve measurement they gave was completely wrong. I had planned to alter it from the shoulder and shorten it but it's too short instead of too long. If I lengthen it from the cuff it will place the end of the sleeve 2 inches from the last button hole. Is this an inappropriate length? Can you take some padding from the shoulder and let the sleeve settle on my arm more and extend it less from the cuff??? Or just bite the bullet and send it back??

Any advice is appreciated!! I do love the suit though so I hope it's salvageable!
blush.gif

Nicesuit

Reaction score
I measured the material on the inside of the sleeve and there is about 1.5 inches of extra rolled into the sleeve. I need it extended about 3/4's of an inch from where it currently is. The lining measures out to have between 1/2 and 3/4's of an inch extra so it looks like it'd be tight there maybe. I read someone else on here had an extension added to the lining of the sleeve although I don't know how feasible this is. What do you think Doc? If it can be done, would the end of the sleeve be too far from the buttons anyway?

Thanks for your help by the way! I was hoping you'd show up.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Anyone else have an opinion?? Yes no on the 2 inches from button to cuff?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes it can be done at the bottom. and 2" is about the limit.
no way to do it at the top. sorry.
take out padding and the shoulders will fall down.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
yes it can be done at the bottom. and 2" is about the limit. no way to do it at the top. sorry. take out padding and the shoulders will fall down.
Alright, great, that's what I was looking for. And yes the shoulders on this suit drape perfect which is a first as I've got really wide shoulders. Thanks for your help guys! This place is a great resource. To the tailor I go!
smile.gif
Hmmm, one more buttonhole. I don't know if I've ever seen a 5 button sleeve. Has anyone done this?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicesuit
Your help is requested. I just got my Zegna Su Misura I bought off ebay. The problem is, the sleeve measurement they gave was completely wrong. I had planned to alter it from the shoulder and shorten it but it's too short instead of too long. If I lengthen it from the cuff it will place the end of the sleeve 2 inches from the last button hole. Is this an inappropriate length? Can you take some padding from the shoulder and let the sleeve settle on my arm more and extend it less from the cuff??? Or just bite the bullet and send it back??

Any advice is appreciated!! I do love the suit though so I hope it's salvageable!
blush.gif

I would try to get a refund if you can. 5 sleeve buttons would be a bit odd.

kshah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I would try to get a refund if you can. 5 sleeve buttons would be a bit odd.

The "fashion suit" companies do this - Paul Smith et al. I've also seen 5 button cuffs on Entourage's Ari Gold (where is gdl??)

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicesuit
Alright, great, that's what I was looking for. And yes the shoulders on this suit drape perfect which is a first as I've got really wide shoulders. Thanks for your help guys! This place is a great resource. To the tailor I go!
smile.gif

Hmmm, one more buttonhole. I don't know if I've ever seen a 5 button sleeve. Has anyone done this?

Are all the buttonholes working? Sometimes only the first two are. If this is the case, the two non-working ones can be simply removed, and one or two can be added in front (depending on how much length you add). If not, then I'd also recommend a refund, which in this case is fully justified.

Aureus

Reaction score
If you don't mind an extra button, go for it, if you do, send it back.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kshah
The "fashion suit" companies do this - Paul Smith et al. I've also seen 5 button cuffs on Entourage's Ari Gold (where is gdl??)
That's true - I believe PS uses (used?) 5 buttons on some of his suits. Don't remember Ari's cuffs though... These pics show 4 buttons
ep29_05.jpg

ep27_01.jpg

ep31_01.jpg

I personally feel that although not ideal 5 cuff buttons is a better option than an oddly long stretch between the last button and the cuff.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It will be expensive, but you could have the top buttonhole filled in by a re-weaver. That would be my first choice.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Yeah, the 5th button I think would be preferable over an abnormal stretch gdl. I really don't think it looks that bad. Just... different. It could be that added cuff on the suit though. Thanks all for the suggestions and opinions! Any more are surely welcome. I'm being patient on deciding so I don't get stuck with something I don't want. Concordia, that would be a great first choice, but also a pricey one I would think. I'll file that away for later though.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads