• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Of The Better Trad Blogs Out There -

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Purely FYI:

More sophisticated than the Trad forum and entirely to my liking Trad Blogs are currently quiety growing out there in cyberspace.

Longwing's Blog is my 'to go to' source for all this. From his site if you explore his links you will also find most of the other guys putting out quality work in this area.

Amongst the other Blogs 'Heavy Tweed Jacket's site has a newly discovered Playboy article on Brooks Brothers as its headline at the moment and 'Nadsat' features an account of Traditional American shopping in NYC today. Both well worth a read.

A link to Longwing's Site: http://www.longsufferingtrad.com/?p=75

Best -

J.

RussellStreet

Reaction score
More from Longwing's Blog: http://www.longsufferingtrad.com/?p=77#comment-297

I'm linking this just to highlight Trad as it is today amongst real Trad fans.
It isn't about pretending that the Trad forum is the Classic American style that you see in the old 1950's & 60's photos.
It's about saying that was then & this is now.

And I can't argue with that.

SO glad we've reached this point. Avanti!

Jim

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a sale at J. Press and you didn't put out a PSA... tisk tisk.

What are the specifics?

RussellStreet

Reaction score
LOL!
smile.gif

J. Press don't really need any of us, they just cary on evolving like they always have.

... Just like an aspect of 'Ivy League' was promoted as 'Preppy' and now a different aspect again is promoted as 'Trad'.

Here's to honest evolution.

Old style AAAT Trad said it was the same as it had always been. But how could it be? Traditional American style has never stood still. Fact.
New style Trad says that we are here TODAY drawing on the heritage of the American style. And we have more in our mix now (Preppy, Neoprep, WASP style...) than our Fathers & Grandfathers had.

I see all this as really positive and realistic for once. Here's to it!

J.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still, when does the sale end? They're closed today and I wouldn't mind picking up some ties as your friend did.

I dig the trad blogs, it's important to every movement these days... young and old alike.

I also don't mind rules that buck or promote the evolution of a style, as to each their own, which is how the rules are being drawn up anyway. It's good to play off of and then go your own route from there; picking and choosing what you will and what you won't as you develop your own personal style.

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Perfect sense & what you say is the story of every clothing style.

Not sure when Press' sale ends to be honest. It's just started & will still be going on tomorow I'm sure.

Best -

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RussellStreet
Perfect sense & what you say is the story of every clothing style.

Not sure when Press' sale ends to be honest. It's just started & will still be going on tomorow I'm sure.

Best -

Exactly! That's how Prep and Neoprep came from Trad and Classic American. Trad omits denim, that's practically unamerican.

As for the sale, good to know, I'll check in with them. They close so early so I don't really get a chance to browse often.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif

RussellStreet

Reaction score
J. Press' private sale runs 9-16th May. The public sale starts 17th May. There's a promo code needed to access the private sale, but I'm sure if you look the part & can do an English accent just wandering into Press in NYC and claiming to be "Russell Street" will get people's attention.

... In fact thinking about it if you do that they might actually charge you more instead of less...

What a world!
wink.gif

Jim

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Sorry - The private sale is Internet only.

I really ought to wear my reading glasses more often.

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Another Trad Blog more than worthy of your consideration:

http://coiledpleasures.blogspot.com/...wth-style.html

Here is Trad, but not the Trad you might think you know. This has wit, style and a relaxed air about it.
It's the Trad that says 'What The Hell'.
Nothing stuffy or remotely pompous here.

For some further discussion of WTH style: http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3120

What I'm loving about these Trad Blogs & what I want to share with you if you're interested is the richness & diversity of this style. Here is a Trad without talk of 'Uniforms'. Here is a Trad which presents to you stylistic options around a central theme just like classical English or Italian style does.

American style is just the same as the great English & Italian names you all know, just a different aesthetic. It is a REAL style.

As ever, this is only FYI.

Best -

James.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads