• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Softening facial stubble?

justinsmnz

Reaction score
A girl I was spending this weekend with told me that my stubble was hurting her chin after kissing for a while. Eventually it got to the point that I could actually see where it was rubbing her chin and it was clearly causing an issue. The strange part was that I had shaved around 8 hours before this, so my face was still relatively smooth (or so I thought.) "Ok," I thought. "I've got fairly thick and quickly growing facial hair, so I'll go shave right now and hopefully that will solve it." I went in the bathroom and shaved again as close as I could. When we tried again she said it was slightly better, but still rough enough to become a problem.

I shave with a Mach 3 and had a brand new blade on it. I use whatever random Gilette shaving gel I pick up (I think this time it was something with aloe.) My usual routine is to wash my face with warm/hot water, then lather and shave. I rinse with cold water.

This is the first time I've gotten this complaint and I haven't been able to find any decent advice online besides "shave 3-4 times immediately before kissing." I'd really like to find some solution for this.

Is there any type of conditioner/lotion I can use to soften up the tiny amount of stumble that is still there after shaving (and will still help 8-12 hours after)? I'd be willing to try pretty much anything besides safety/straight razor shaving (can't really dedicate the time to it.)

KurtS90

Reaction score
I shave with a safety razor, a gold Merkur (not sure on model). Using Merkur or Feather branded razors. With a good badger brush and bowl, I lather up with True Fit and Hill. Doing this I save a fortune as the blades are much cheaper then cartilage razors. I also get a much closer and less irritated shave.

~Kurt

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also try switching to shaving oil instead of those gels/creams that foam up. They can possibly give a closer shave. And it's a lot easier to see whether you missed a spot too.

Shaving when or straight after you take a hot shower also makes shaving a lot easier.

Last edited:

justinsmnz

Reaction score

Also try switching to shaving oil instead of those gels/creams that foam up. They can possibly give a closer shave. And it's a lot easier to see whether you missed a spot too.
Shaving when or straight after you take a hot shower also makes shaving a lot easier.

I actually picked up some Burt's Bees shaving cream the other day and it seems to be working a bit better for me. I really like the fact that it doesn't lather. Like you mentioned, I can see any missed spots or areas that need a bit more attention.

I also started carefully shaving against the grain in some of the particularly coarse places and it's much closer. I haven't shaved against the grain for years because it used to irritate my skin pretty severely but it looks like my skin may be doing a bit better this time around.

Rambo - I guess that's true. It also seems like some girls just have more fragile skin than others. A mixture of the two doesn't work out so well.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A day or week? I shave 3 times a week, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday (my hair grows slow, but thick). I do 3 passes, down, side, and up.

~Kurt
Yes, I meant three passes. Down, down and down.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be willing to try pretty much anything besides safety/straight razor shaving (can't really dedicate the time to it.)

Well, since your unwilling to try the best solutions to the problem, you can do better beard prep. Beard Prep scroll down to beard prep. Using a brush and soap also help.

Other than that, you can wax it or laser it off. :p

Last edited:

bmathe02

Reaction score
MUSGO REAL - Glycerine Lime Oil Soap -

Anyone who wet shaves knows of it. It is a great beard prep and it will soften the hair much better then plain water. You apply it to face, let sit for a minute or so, re wet face (just wet not wash off) and then apply your shave soap of choice on top of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads