• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ENZO BONAFÈ 3964 SPLIT TOE DERBY GMTO IDEAS:

I'm following this closely but I'm probably not looking for a version with the chained norvegese stitching and it seems that the colors that are most popular here (lighter browns or purples/blues) are not what I'm after. A flat welt version in a true medium to dark brown leather (or suede) is more what I'm after.

CarlosMS16

Reaction score

Hi there @Skoaktiebolaget Thanks for collating the information. However, the GMTO I proposed is actually for this model : A different model but also a split toe. We had hoped to incoorporate this new skin stitch technique into this model. As of now, we have 6 guys, our specs are already down and we are ready to go. But I have been just informed that Bonafe cannot accept this request as of yet.
When this comes around, and if you can add one more, I'm in.

bsarosi

Reaction score

@bsarosi
 @Dslondon
 @Pbayvip

Just got a response from Gabriel. A couple final things we need to iron out:

Personally, I'd prefer the softer added burnishing, matching sole edge and flat laces,  and can go either way between single leather or having a vibram topy.  Thoughts?

@tdes81
@Dslondon
@Pbayvip

Soft burnishing works for me as does matching sole edge and flat laces. I, too, will defer to anyone who has a preference between single leather and vibram. I think vibram will make them more versatile for *almost* any condition, but would be happy with either option.

Edit - didn't see the summation from Skoak...guess we're good to go and sticking with leather soles, which is fine by me.

Last edited:

ecwy

Reaction score
Enzo Bonafe boots in Tärnsjö Oak / Hidro Jasper on 74945 Last

GMTO with @ThunderMarch

I wanted a full brogue version of the boots whereas ThunderMarch and our other friend wanted an Austerity version which I already owned 1 pair. We compromised on it being brogue on the long wingtip and austerity on the seam connecting to the suede. Despite my initial reservations, it turned out quite well imo.

Gonna be an awesome casual boot. Maybe I could even sneak it into the office rotation on Thursdays.

benf

Reaction score

RogerP man keep them both I have one Thrope & kudu Glenco :D so highly recommend you should keep them both. But my Glenco definately coming out this winter.

Speaking of kudu, I recognise it's more causal than calf. So for the Isham, kudu or calf upper? I'm trying to decide between the 2 and am quite torn. The calf is a 'safer' choice but I likes the look of the kudu and the fact it's uncommon. Do u gents wear this type of split toe derby shoes as part of a formal outfit?

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RogerP man keep them both I have one Thrope & kudu Glenco :D so highly recommend you should keep them both. But my Glenco definately coming out this winter.

Speaking of kudu, I recognise it's more causal than calf. So for the Isham, kudu or calf upper? I'm trying to decide between the 2 and am quite torn. The calf is a 'safer' choice but I likes the look of the kudu and the fact it's uncommon. Do u gents wear this type of split toe derby shoes as part of a formal outfit?

Hey man I personally use them for business casual specially the kudu isham. But I don't see why can't you use calf isham with suit. But once again depending upon formality, but in all honesty I don't think any one would care outside of SF. I suppose you can use kudu isham for formal, afternoon event I don't see a big deal. Other than that I would stick to normal dress shoes at least that's my two cent.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will invariably select an oxford over a derby for pairing with a formal business suit. While it's true that the vast majority of populace will neither notice nor care, it is also true that the vast majority of the populace is utterly clueless as to the conventions and elements of classic menswear. I don't really want to dress to their standards.

That said, the Isham will look far from horrible with a suit, and will easily prove to be better than what 99% or more of that same clueless majority happen to be wearing. But if suit pairing is your primary goal, I definitely recommend calf over Kudu.

It's possible that my calf Thorpes will occasionally be paired with a suit - but it would be something more heavily textured. I can't really see them with navy blue worsted. But in the winter I wear a lot of tweeds and flannels in various sport coat / trouser combos and the Thorpes will rock hard there.

benf

Reaction score
@TtownMD @RogerP That combination rocks.

I agree with you both. Personally, I'd only pair oxfords with a formal outfit. What promoted me to ask the question were the words 'casual' and 'formal' being used in the same sentence. In this instance, it really is relative. And for my lifestyle (jeans, chinos but seldom suit), I'm leaning towards kudu.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TtownMD @RogerP That combination rocks.

I agree with you both. Personally, I'd only pair oxfords with a formal outfit. What promoted me to ask the question were the words 'casual' and 'formal' being used in the same sentence. In this instance, it really is relative. And for my lifestyle (jeans, chinos but seldom suit), I'm leaning towards kudu.

That makes perfect sense. Kudu is awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads