• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes - American Classics - What's on the list?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been wondering about this.. In my collection of 50+ shoes, I have some that I consider to be true american classics.. But thinking about this makes me wonder if I am missing something I should have. Here is what I have that I feel falls into the category so far

Chucks
Purcells
Red Wings GT
Clarks DB
Bass Weejuns
Bass Bucks
Sperry Topsiders
Florsheim Imperial LW(vintage)
AE Park Ave

What else am I missing here, guys?

flyguy7

Reaction score
2008110801085973499.jpg

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flyguy7;3482266 said:
2008110801085973499.jpg
[/QUOTE

this without the all over logo print, which i had no idea existed until this post..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
goddamnit you guys....

although I guess bean boots aren't that bad of a suggestion..

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains
Alden?

yeah, I don't like tassel loafers but an All-American classic list probably needs to include the Alden tassel loafer in shell cordovan.

The PTB is also a classic and I would also suggest some sort of PTB in shell cordovan or tan calf as well (my PTB is the AE Leeds in Black Shell and the very deadstock AE Heather in a burgundy shell cordovan, I also own a tan calf Barker's).

Honestly - my All-American dress/dress casual shoe list can probably be brought down to 7 styles:

1) BB/Alden Tassel Loafer in burgundy shell (don't have)
2) AE Park Avenue in black calf (also do not have, despite owning large numbers of AE's)
3) Florsheim Deadstock Kenmoor Longwing (ideally with suicide heels, and this I have in black pebble grain). Probably tan grain is the signature color, followed closely by burgundy shell cordovan.
4) Deadstock Bass Weejun (probably better off today with the Alden or AE versions). Burgundy or Brown.
5) A couple of plain toe bluchers. Maybe shell, maybe tan or brown calf? I like black shell, but a lot of people think black shell PTB's don't make sense. Hard to pick a brand, since a lot of people did them well.
6) Spade Sole J&M handmade black bal wingtips (one of the best American made bal wingtip I ever saw)
7) A welted penny loafer (Alden makes them, as does AE, etc). probably shell as well, but that means one ends up with quite a bit of shell.

I'm not going to deal with casual options, or boots.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
So I've been wondering about this.. In my collection of 50+ shoes, I have some that I consider to be true american classics.. But thinking about this makes me wonder if I am missing something I should have. Here is what I have that I feel falls into the category so far

Chucks
Purcells
Red Wings GT
Clarks DB
Bass Weejuns
Bass Bucks
Sperry Topsiders
Florsheim Imperial LW(vintage)
AE Park Ave

What else am I missing here, guys?

Are these really American? More of a English thing, I thought.

As for bucks, I've never really associated Bass with them, but I might be wrong. Sperry topsiders are another good choice. As are the old Sebagos.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
goddamnit you guys....

although I guess bean boots aren't that bad of a suggestion..

well i thought you were asking for any classic regardless of ugliness... but the ll bean boots are useful and functional. here's some cool ll bean signature waxed cotton versions.

llbeanwaxboot.jpg

*intellect*

Reaction score
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

sadly, true. the af1 is the most popular sneaker ever, with $0 spent on sales ads

think about it, whens the last time you seen an af1 commercial

Mountains

Reaction score
"True American classic" and SF-approved are not the same thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads