• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RTW Suits for athletic guys?

PrestonJL4

Reaction score
I am in the market for a couple new suits, however due to budgetary and time constraints I'd prefer to get something RTW and not MTM.

Are there any RTW suits that are cut for a more athletic frame, such that the tailoring could be less aggressive? I am about an 11" drop, but also have muscular arms, legs and seat. Are there any brands you can point me to where I'd be able to get the right pants fit and an appropriate amount of waist suppression? I could do separates, but I find that I still don't get the waist suppression in the jacket that I need.

Thanks in advance.

Mr T

Reaction score
Look at the Regent model by Brooks Brothers. The pants are drop 7, but a bit slim so you might be able to tailor down another couple of inches. I have a drop 10 and make it work.

EDIT: I have not yet found a workable solution for separates. These programs seem targeted to large, but not athletic men. If the trouser waist fits, the seat is too baggy. Likewise, the jackets are not suppressed at all so the result of your working out is looking like you never work out. Frustrating.

PrestonJL4

Reaction score
Thanks.

For me personally, i can deal with the drop to the pants. I have thick legs/butt so it's mostly just talking the waist in quite a bit. NOT ideal, but I can work with it.

But the bulkiness in the waist of the jacket just kills me. Am I stuck to a lifetime of MTM/bespoke suits?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an athletic build also, although not bulky.

Although not the best quality, I find that theory and hugo red label suits work well.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PrestonJL4
Thanks.

For me personally, i can deal with the drop to the pants. I have thick legs/butt so it's mostly just talking the waist in quite a bit. NOT ideal, but I can work with it.

But the bulkiness in the waist of the jacket just kills me. Am I stuck to a lifetime of MTM/bespoke suits?

If you're upper body is also built (I'm guessing you are a Mezzo body type) then you need to avoid the slim fit suits IMHO. You'll find the slim small in the shoulders. Small in the arms. Which would force you to size up.

You don't mention budget so it's hard to suggest. Try on the Zegna Milano cut. It's only drop 7 normally. Zegna pants are cut normally. With big legs this will mean the normal pants will be okay in the thighs. Slim pants won't fit in the legs.

Simplest thing is to ignore suits and go with odd jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics